The Fault in Our Stars will have grossed $300 million at the global box office by the weekend.

The astonishing profit comes after the movie, which stars Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort, was made for just $16 million.

The film, which is based on John Green’s 2012 novel, made a staggering $48.2 million in its debut week. The plot centres on two teenagers who develop a relationship after meeting in a support group.

Deadline credits the picture’s huge success to the script, adapted by Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber, an incredible trailer and the social network followings of author Green.

Speaking previously about the story, Shailene said she was given an entirely new outlook on life by the film.

"This movie teaches you life isn't fair. There's no reason why Ansel [Elgort, co-star] and I are at the Four Seasons Hotel talking to you and why there are kids our age in hospitals, still going though what they were going through when we met them months ago," she told Total Film magazine.

"It [the movie] took away my fear of death, almost all fear actually. Once you realise life is so fleeting, fear doesn't have any room to occupy your mind."

For Ansel the process of filming the heartbreaking movie didn't take away his fear of death, but it did alter the way he looked at it.

"I'm still scared of dying, but not in the same way. I'm scared of dying because I don't want to let down the people in my life...I felt like I became more of a man and less of a boy," Ansel confessed.