Josh Trank’s Fantastic Four reboot isn’t out until next year, but it can already lay claim to some kind of 2014 award for provoking the most amount of rage based on the least amount of information. 20th Century Fox has yet to release any official images or footage from the film, and all that’s really known right now is the list of cast members (and the characters they’ll be playing) and the fact that it will be based largely on the Ultimate Universe version of the story and characters, rather than Earth-616.

Screenwriter Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Days of Future Past) has at least included a very traditional enemy for the Fantastic Four to fight, as Toby Kebbell (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) is playing their archnemesis, Doctor Doom. Doom is one of only two characters from the film that have been glimpsed in leaked set photos (the other is the Thing), and now Kebbell has peeled back a little of the secrecy surrounding Fantastic Four to offer some details about his character.

Speaking in an interview with Collider, Kebbell explained that Doom is not the ruler of Latveria and that his name isn’t Victor von Doom, presumably because a name like Victor von Doom would have been a little too goofy to fit into Trank’s vision for the film. Instead, the “Doom” handle becomes attached to the character through his online activities:

“He’s Victor Domashev, not Victor von Doom in our story. And I’m sure I’ll be sent to jail for telling you that. The Doom in ours—I’m a programmer. Very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I’m ‘Doom.’ “

Toby Kebbell in RocknRolla Fantastic Four: Doctor Dooms New Name & Origin Revealed
Toby Kebbell in ‘RocknRolla’

Doom’s new occupation as a programmer and blogger is probably going to raise even more eyebrows than his new name, but it certainly fits with the idea of a modernized take on the story. It also correlates with the rumors that the Doombots will appear in the film, reinvented as drones that Victor can control telekinetically.

Kebbell also revealed that Victor Domashev is caught in the same accident that gives the Fantastic Four their powers, saying that, “It was nice to be feeling like we had to come to terms with what was given by this incident.” He characterized Trank’s approach as “lo-fi” and “ultra-real,” which at least makes a nice change from overused descriptors like “gritty” and “grounded.” The final tidbit of information is that it sounds like Doom is probably going to have an accent:

“The only thing I can tease you about is what I worked on most was the voice because nobody – even in the cartoons, when I was watching them I was like, ‘So where’s he from?’”

It’s possible that the rebooted Doom will still be from the fictional Eastern European country of Latveria, which would explain his name as well as the fact that Kebbell had to work hard to get the voice right. If that’s the case then he’ll at least be closer to the comic book character than Julian McMahon’s version in the 2005 Fantastic Four movie.

Fantastic Four opens in theaters on August 7th, 2015.