Fresh from his Star Wars role reprisal in Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ewan McGregor discusses the possibility of joining Disney’s other major franchise.

Ewan-Mc-Gregor-in-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Finale.jpg
Ewan McGregor reveals if he’d ever consider joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe. McGregor’s prolific career began in the 1990s before his breakout role as Mark Renton in Danny Boyle’s cult classic Trainspotting. He would go on to star in everything from Baz Luhrmann’s Moulin Rouge!, Ridley Scott’s Black Hawk Down, and Tim Burton’s Big Fish to The Shining sequel, Doctor Sleep, and an acclaimed television stint in FX’s Fargo. In 2020, he even joined the DC Extended Universe as Roman Sionis in Birds of Prey.

However, McGregor is perhaps best known for playing Star Wars’ iconic Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. After the then-28-year-old actor inherited the role from Alec Guinness in The Phantom Menace, McGregor picked up his lightsaber in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. Following Disney’s 2012 acquisition of Lucasfilm, he reunited with Hayden Christensen in this year’s Obi-Wan Kenobi. The Disney+ series follows “Ben” Kenobi as he leaves Luke Skywalker on Tatooine to rescue Leia Organa and combat Darth Vader and his Inquisitors. In the wake of Obi-Wan Kenobi season 1, some are curious whether its star would consider joining Disney’s other major franchise.

During a panel at Fan Expo Boston (via ComicBook.com) over the weekend, McGregor was asked if he had any interest in working with Marvel Studios. Joining the MCU could be a unique experience, but the 51-year-old actor isn’t sure if he wants to add another blockbuster franchise to his resume. Read the full quote below:

"I don't know. I don't know that I want to do that. Because I love doing all different kinds of work. It's true. I love to direct. I'd like to be in the theater again. I definitely want to do this again, you know, I'm in this Star Wars world. I feel like I don't need another... I'm not looking for that anyway. I feel like I shouldn't say I wouldn't do it because in two years time you'll be like, 'You said you were never going to do this!' But I'm not looking for it particularly."

If there was ever any galaxy to rival that which is far, far away, it is the one in the MCU. With its repeated recruitment of top-tier talent, critically-acclaimed track record, and presence on screens big and small, Disney/Marvel Studios is arguably the most profitable company in all of the entertainment industry. That said, McGregor is a certified A-lister, and can essentially work on whatever and with whomever he chooses. While Marvel boss Kevin Feige may one day approach him with the perfect character and story in the MCU, for now, McGregor seems content on Tatooine.

As was the case with George Lucas’ Star Wars prequel trilogy, McGregor’s performance is a high point in Obi-Wan Kenobi. McGregor proved himself a definitive version of the Jedi Master and loved returning to Star Wars as much as audiences enjoyed having him. Despite the Disney+ show being billed as a limited series, McGregor has offered a promising update on a possible Obi-Wan Kenobi season 2. Not only is the actor eager to reprise his role, but Disney and Lucasfilm appear to be biding their time before green-lighting a sophomore installment. If McGregor keeps using the Force, it’s unlikely he’ll have time to traverse the MCU's multiverse anytime soon.