NED Porteous has gone to America to land US television roles after leaving Emmerdale.

The actor played Joe Tate in the ITV soap until tonight's episode when the faux millionaire was brutally murdered by right hand man Graham Foster.

Now actor Ned has spoken out about his exit from the soap and revealed he is going to Hollywood to try to crack America.

He said: "I haven’t had a holiday for a very long time so I’m desperate first to get out to America.

"I’ve got management out there so I want to try my hand with the American casting system and then go on a little holiday.

"I think, I will turn my phone off, go climbing, go camping, go fishing."

Ned also revealed he loved filming his final scenes with the twists and turns that came with them with Cain thinking he had killed Joe.

He added: "It was tremendously exciting filming all of this last bit to the story as there had been a lot of build up to this point.

"We knew the course of this storyline for a good deal of weeks beforehand, so we had a lot of time to emotionally prepare for what was going on in the scripts.

"But I think I personally just focused on the work and concentrated on just producing some really good final scenes.

"I don’t suppose I really had thought too much about the fact I was actually going to be leaving and maybe I wasn’t quite emotionally prepared - but everyone was just so bloody lovely on my last day, it was a little emotional."

He added: "Thankfully a few of the cast got me some really lovely thoughtful going away gifts so I will be able to keep them forever and cherish them. So that was really nice."