With the Dragon Ball Super series building up to its finale, we now know that a follow-on movie is planned later this year.

Released in Japan on December 14, this new movie will have some interesting surprises in store. Something the creator of the Dragon Ball saga, Akira Toriyama, recently clarified.

The Dragon Ball Super movie this time around will be the next story that takes place after the anime that's currently on TV. The content will shed a little light on previously unexplored topics having to do with Frieza and the Saiyans, and I think it will be a very enjoyable story that serves up a long-awaited formidable opponent!

With 2013's Battle of Gods, the previous installment Resurrection 'F', and now this time too, I've been the one writing the stories. I've also been drawing quite a few things for them, like design illustrations. I'm actually as busy as ever, and if I wasn't serializing anything, I'd have time to think about the anime with which I used to not have enough time to be involved (laugh). So on that note, I very much hope you look forward to it!

By the way, I think the highly popular Dragon Ball Super manga, drawn by Toyotaro, is going to see some developments different from the TV anime or movies, so please look forward to that. Be sure to check it out, too!

The movie has Akira Toriyama writing the script as well as designing the characters. Tatsuya Nagamine will direct the film, Naohiro Shintani will be its animation director and Kazuo Ogura will be the art director.

The host anime series itself has been hugely popular both in Japan and globally so it will be interesting to see how this new movie will be received at the end of the year.

What's curious is that Toriyama is also saying that the series is only stopping "for now", which sounds like it might continue on at a later date. We will just have to wait and see.

The good news is that Dragon Ball fans have a new movie to look forward to and it definitely sounds intriguing.