DEMI Lovato has returned to social media to give fans an update on her recovery after experiencing a near fatal drugs overdose in July.

The chart-topping singer, 26, thanked fans for their ongoing support as she claimed to be "sober and grateful to be alive."

Since her time in rehab, Demi has only tweeted on a rare couple of occasions - once to encourage young followers to vote in US election, and on a second occasion she celebrated a Grammy nomination for her collaboration with Christina Aguilera.

Demi chose to speak out to slam recent reports surrounding her recovery, promising fans she will talk about the incident when she is "ready to share."

The singer tweeted: "I am sober and grateful to be alive and taking care of me.

"I would love to set the record straight on all the rumours out there but I literally don't owe anyone anything so I'm not going to.

"All my fans need to know is I'm working hard on myself, I'm happy and clean and I'm SO grateful for their support."

Demi continued: "I'm so blessed I get to take this time to be with family, relax, work on my mind, body and soul and come back when I'm ready.

"I have my fans to thank for that. I'm so grateful, truly. I love you guys so f****** much. Thank you."

Shortly after completing her Tell Me You Love Me World Tour and topping the UK chart with her Clean Bandit collaboration, Demi took a near fatal overdose at a residence in Los Angeles.

It was initially claimed she had overdosed on heroin however her family later said some of the reports surrounding this were not accurate.

In a statement, a representative for the star said: “Demi is awake and with her family who want to express thanks to everyone for the love, prayers, and support.

“Some of the information being reported is incorrect and they respectfully ask for privacy and not speculation as her health and recovery is the most important thing right now.”

Earlier this year, Demi's mother Dianna De La Garza revealed that Demi was "doing really well."

She told Newsmax TV that Demi is "happy, she's healthy, she's working on her sobriety, and she's getting the help she needs."

Of the moment she found out Demi - who has been open about her battle with drink and drugs in the past - had overdosed via a text message, she added: "I was in shock; I didn't know what to say" before adding that she "didn't know for two days if [Demi] was going to make it or not."