Following the theatrical release of this past summer’s Marvel Cinematic Universe tentpole movie event Captain America: Civil War, and with the upcoming superhero standalone feature reboot Spider-Man: Homecoming on the way, fans of the New York web-slinger – now played by Tom Holland (The Impossible) – have a lot to be excited about. After the dissolution of The Amazing Spider-Man franchise over at Sony, Marvel Studios are all set to reimagine the character with Holland firmly in place as the Peter Parker of the MCU.

With filming having officially wrapped in Atlanta on Spider-Man: Homecoming, and the cast and crew of the new film directed by Jon Watts (Cop Car) headed to New York, things are looking up for the fan-favorite Marvel character moving forward on the big screen. However, Holland wasn’t the only actor who was interested in playing the role of Parker/Spider-Man in Watts’ superhero spectacle.

According to Metro.co.uk, none other than Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) was potentially interested in taking on the role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man following the exit of former franchise star Andrew Garfield (Silence) at Sony. Remarking that he has always loved superhero movies in general, Radcliffe stated:

“I would’ve been a good Spider-Man, but the boat has sailed on that and I’m very happy to watch Tom Holland do it. He’s fantastic.”

Nevertheless, the British leading man did add that he wouldn’t have wanted to be attached to another multi-year contract like he was with the Harry Potter franchise anyway, adding:

“I’m not sure if I’d sign up for something that was another seven or eight films or ten years, but a shorter franchise, yeah.”

Tom Holland with Spider Man Homecoming Logo Daniel Radcliffe Was Interested in Playing Spider Man

It’s unlikely that Radcliffe would have been able to swing a deal as Peter Parker/Spider-Man for only a couple of feature film entries, so he’s probably better off not having to take on the role that Holland has secured. On the other hand, it might have been interesting to see the former boy who lived in another genre film franchise entirely, and may very well have resulted in an entertaining couple of stand-alone superhero movies operating outside of the MCU.

Holland is all set to take on the titular role in Watts’ forthcoming MCU feature Spider-Man: Homecoming, regardless of whether or not Radcliffe might have been just as capable of playing the role himself. On that note, here’s to hoping for the very best when the new movie finds its way to theaters next summer.