Relativity Media’s planned reboot of The Crow comic book movie franchise has now gone through a handful of director switches; just yesterday, we found out that relative newcomer Corin Hardy is now the helmsman attached. The project has likewise been moving along with different leading men – Mark Wahlberg, Bradley Cooper and, most recently, Luke Evans – at varying stages in its pre-production; now, it may need a new star, yet again.

Last we heard, The Crow was gearing up to begin filming by Spring 2015; though, that was before Hardy was reported to be onboard, and it could be that the director change has slowed progress on the reboot. (This movie could also be more under the control of studio executives than its director(s), which would be a whole other issue…) It doesn’t sounds as though this venture’s rolling along at a steady pace, though, judging by recent comments from Evans.

Evans reprises his Middle-earth role as Bard the Bowman in this month’s new release, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies; and thus, he’s been out and about promoting the movie, which has given members of the press a chance to pick his brain about The Crow. Den of Geek asked Evans if the reboot is “still progressing,” to which the actor replied:

“It’s not, no. No at the minute The Crow is not, not for me, I think it’s a little… I mean I’m sure it’s going to go ahead at some point, but I have other projects that are greenlit and ready to go and projects that I’m very interested in and you know, I can’t wait much longer! [laughs]“

The implication here seems to be that Evans may formally un-attach himself from The Crow, unless development picks up – and quickly. He’s defended the project as being a worthwhile revisitation of the Crow property in the past (as has the original comic’s creator, James O’Barr), but Evans’ busy schedule could pull him away; though, again, that’s not a given yet. It may also in part depend on whether the project starts moving in a somewhat different direction, now that Hardy’s calling the shots. Either way, Evans stepping down would be an unwelcome development.

The 1994 Crow film stars Brandon Lee (who infamously died on-set during production) as Eric Draven, a musician who returns from the dead in order to take revenge against the criminals who brutally murdered him and his fiancee. A reboot made now would probably be able to find a sizable audience, being a superhero movie that’s inherently pretty dark and emotionally-gritty; or, failing that, it could become a Dredd style cult success… assuming it’s done well, of course.

Point being, as Evans pointed out, this project seems likely to happen at some point in the foreseeable future; but when, exactly, and who will be involved, are questions that remain to be firmly answered…

We’ll bring you more information on The Crow when we have it.