The Crazy Rich Asians spinoff movie has gotten a promising update from star, Harry Shum Jr. The romantic comedy-drama, based on Kevin Kwan’s novel of the same name, followed the relationship between Rachel Chu (Constance Wu) and Nicholas Young (Henry Golding). Released back in 2018, the film proved successful in terms of both box office performance and audience reception. The character of Astrid Young Teo, played by Gemma Chan, quickly became a favorite, expressing kindness towards Rachel upon her arrival in Singapore. By the end of Crazy Rich Asians, Shum Jr. made an appearance as Astrid’s ex-fiancé, Charlie Wu, suggesting their potential romance would be explored in the future.

The Crazy Rich Asians spinoff was announced in 2022 and is set to focus on Astrid and Charlie. Questions surrounding the status of the project have been brought up, but in a recent interview with CinemaBlend, Shum Jr. revealed that it is being written, adding that he is excited about the film. Read Shum Jr.’s comments regarding the Crazy Rich Asians spinoff below:

"You remind me, I do have to make another call. A lot of people are really excited, especially with the wonderful work that the team behind CRA has been doing. I think at this point they’re writing it and trying to just get it right. So as far as I know now, I don’t know any concrete date of when it would go, but I’m just as excited as the audience to get this going."
Everything We Know About The Crazy Rich Asians Spinoff

The spinoff film will continue to follow Astrid after the events of Crazy Rich Asians. Introduced as the cousin of Nick, who he revealed he was closest to, she is very wealthy and presented as being fashionable. She has a son, Cassian, and a former husband, Michael (Pierre Png), who she recognized as having come from a different background. The movie will also obverse the relationship between her and Charlie, who was last seen in the credits scene, when the two exchanged a look at Rachel’s engagement party.

The spinoff is reportedly being distributed by Warner Bros. and its script will be written by Jason Kim, whose other credits include Barry and the Netflix series, Love. Prior to Charlie’s appearance at the end of Crazy Rich Asians, Astrid left Michael soon after she discovered he was having an affair. In the novel, she and Charlie were once engaged, but her family interfered in their relationship, so it will be interesting to see how they rekindle their past romance, as well as how much more of Shum Jr.’s character is discovered.

In addition to the Crazy Rich Asians spinoff movie, a sequel can be expected, leading to ideas about how Astrid and Charlie will be incorporated into the story and whether the entire cast from the original will return. Star, Constance Wu, previously gave an update on that project, and it will be interesting to see if it follows the plot of the next book titled, China Rich Girlfriend, which came out two years after the first. Those excited about the future of the series and learning more about Astrid and Charlie can be sure to keep an eye out for any news surrounding the upcoming Crazy Rich Asians films.