COUNTDOWN viewers were left in fits of giggles during today’s episode when a contestant asked host Rachel Riley to spell out the word “shags”.

Television presenter Rachel selects cards with letters on from a randomly mixed pile as she asks contestants whether they would like a vowel or a consonant.

And the players almost found themselves stumped when they got a tough set to choose from on the programme.

While one went for the word “shugs”, another selected the ruder “shags”.

Taking to Twitter to voice their amusement, one person wrote: “Today I just witnessed the best word on Countdown.”

After commenting on their dislike for daytime television, another person commented: “I take this back. How’s some guy just tied to pass ‘shags’ as a five letter word on Countdown.”

Discussing the outcome, lexicographer Susie said: “Yeah, Lee, I think you were trying to avoid that one!”

She concluded: “Shug, unfortunately, is not in the dictionary.”

Steering the conversation back to a cleaner topic, main host Nick Hewer said: “It’s a reference to tobacco isn’t it, shags?”

And Susie’s co-star Clive Anderson added: “Shag is a bird!”

This is not the first time clever Rachel has been left flustered after a cheeky word was spelt out in the show.

In the past she was giggled and was left red-faced after a contestant spelt out the word “orgasmed”.