From the moment that the first critic responses to X-Men: Days of Future Past were released, one of the moments that was picked out above all others as a highlight was Quicksilver’s split-second rescue of Magneto, Professor Xavier and Wolverine as they were confronted by guards during Magneto’s escape from the Pentagon.

Quicksilver’s moment of glory had to be filmed with Phantom Flex cameras in order to capture the various elements in super-slow motion. Set to the tune of Jim Croce’s “Time in a Bottle,” the scene ended up being one of the most memorable moments in X-Men: Days of Future Past and left many fans eager to see more of Quicksilver (played by American Horror Story actor Evan Peters) in the upcoming sequel X-Men: Apocalypse.

While it might be assumed that the Quicksilver slow-mo scene was entirely directed by Bryan Singer, X-Men: Days of Future Past‘s second unit director, Brian Smrz, revealed in an interview with Newsarama that he was primarily in charge of the scene – since it took a very long time to put together and Smrz’s has a background in stunt choreography.

“Probably the most memorable part of the film was getting the chance to work closely with almost all of the main cast in various scenes. As far as a particular scene that sticks out the most, I’d say the kitchen sequence with Quicksilver. I ended up doing a lot of that. I did most of it, to be honest. I have a great relationship with Bryan Singer, and he really let me do a lot there. The scenes where they enter, as well as parts where they’re frozen – I did most of it. It’s very time consuming, especially with the Phantom camera and the rain. Bryan was there and did some of the key parts, but I did the rest.”

The scene was shot at 3600 frames per second, which meant that the set had to be absolutely flooded with bright lights that, according to Peters’ account of the filming process, made it painful for the actors to keep their eyes open. It’s definitely the kind of effect that would have to be reserved for smaller scenes rather than being used for an entire movie, but Smrz, who made his directorial debut in 2008 with crime drama Hero Wanted, said that he would definitely be interested in directing a Quicksilver spin-off movie where the visual aspects of the character’s ability could be explored further.

“[Returning to directing is] what my main focus has been for the past year, and that’s the reason I haven’t done as much as I have in the past. Besides Terminator, I’ve spent a lot of time going to meetings… We talked about Quicksilver before, I’d love to do a Quicksilver as a solo film because there’s a lot to enjoy with that character.”

Given Quicksilver’s popularity it seems like a safe bet that Twentieth Century Fox will want to do more with the character, and Smrz teased that there’s “another Quicksilver scene” in X-Men: Apocalypse that will be “fun” to shoot. Beyond that (and if Quicksilver’s second appearance is as much of a hit as his first) it wouldn’t be at all surprising if the character was given his own spinoff movie, whether directed by Smrz or by someone else. How that would rate against the version of the character currently seen in the Avengers: Age of Utron trailer remains to be determined

Another possibility, according to recent rumors, is that Quicksilver could be on of the main players in a live-action X-Men TV series based on the X-Factor comics. Let us know if the comments if you think this character would be better off sticking to the big screen, or if you want to see him in an X-Factor TV show.

X-Men: Apocalypse will be in theaters on May 27, 2016.

http://screenrant.com/x-men-apocalyp...spinoff-movie/