CORONATION Street fans were in stitches during tonight’s episode after seeing Liz McDonald talking into an upside down mobile phone.

Eagle eyed viewers spotted the blunder when Liz was having an intense conversation with the police in the Rovers Return.

Liz was left gutted after chatting with the coppers, who admitted her ex-husband Jim and his partner Hannah would not be held in custody.

The crushing blow was supposed to leave viewers empathising with Liz, but all they could talk about was the way she was holding her phone.

One fan tweeted: “Liz MacDonald's upside down Samsung on Corrie,” with a number of laughing face emojis.

Another added: “Nice to see Liz can make phones calls while the phone is upside down. With earpiece near her mouth.”

While a third added: “F***s sale I’m such a phone nerd. Just paused Corrie because I saw liz “on the phone” yet the phone was upside down!”

The next few weeks are looking eventful for Liz, following her affair with Jonny Connor.

Actress Beverley Callard, who plays Liz in the ITV soap, said she was so shocked by the storyline she tried to get bosses to change the script.

Beverley explained: “I have to tell you when they first gave me the scripts and Liz slept with Johnny, I was like ‘Nope, no I don’t want to do it. Liz would never do that, I don’t think to another woman.'

“I don’t think she would have slept with a married man.

“But I have no say in that and so you have to play these things where you’re kissing men and all the rest of it, you know.

“More often than not we get scripts in and you just love them, and think ‘Oh wow, this is amazing,’ but occasionally you can think ‘I just don’t think she wouldn’t do that.'”