COMEDIAN Fred Cooke is being tipped to take the disco ball after it was revealed how an impromptu dance on set last season got him a slot on Dancing With The Stars.

The 38-year-old applied to take to the dance floor on series one and series two of the RTE dance show but had been turned down.

But when Fred turned up as an audience member, and was asked if he’d like to take to the floor with pal Kathryn Lynch for a Facebook live broadcast, he saw his chance.

He told the Irish Sun: “I and gave it my best shot. I ran out of dance moves so quick, by the end I was doing press ups.

“What I didn’t know was Larry Bass, the show’s producer saw my dance and also an RTE commissioning editor was in the audience on the night.

“He must have been impressed because I got the call to do the show this year.”

Some assumed the stand-up would provide the comic element of DWTS season three but Fred continued to wow everyone once training started with rival celebs.

Fred added: “I don’t know what happened but my odds suddenly went from 33/1 to 8/1 to win DWTS. Honestly, I’m not that good. I’ve never had any professional training. They wouldn’t let me dance in school musicals. The only dancing I’ve done has been in nightclubs.”

Show boss Larry Bass confirmed Fred is “absolutely exceptional” on the dancefloor — and nothing like last year’s bumbling funnyman Bernard O’Shea, who drove the judges mad with comedy routines.

Larry told the Irish Sun: “Fred has blown everyone away at rehearsals. He is not just a good dancer, he is absolutely exceptional. People are going to be so surprised.”

As the only comedian on DWTS this season, Fred is already being warned about the Strictly Curse which saw UK comedian Seann Walsh photographed kissing married dance partner Katya Jones on BBC Strictly.

However Fred stresses he is very much in love with his girlfriend, talented comic Julie Jay, who he has been dating since May.

Fred told us: “I love my partner so if I get photographed kissing anyone during the series it will be Julie.

“I don’t know how the Strictly curse thing works as there’s far too much physical work going on, too much sweating and moving around in track suit bottoms in the early morning.”

As a result the comedian revealed how he is losing pounds.

Fred said: “I don’t weigh myself but I can feel my belly shrinking. The diet has changed too. I’m eating salads now having been more an Eddie Rockets man. You need to be fit to have enough breath to make my moves.”

But Fred promises the fans of his stand-up will be entertained by his dance routines.

The Podge and Rodge warm up man will need to have his dance down for the first edition of DWTS on Sunday January 6.

Meanwhile, rival contestant Darren Kennedy has told how he is a bag of nerves after his first week training.

The TV fashion guru told the Irish Sun: “I’m bricking it. I’m fit and absolutely in shape for it. The trouble is I’ve never danced before so I’m using a different part of my brain. Learning the steps is new for me.”