Fake Crocodile Dundee reboot star Chris Hemsworth says he would be open to starring in a real Dundee reprise. The Thor: Ragnarok actor in recent weeks appeared alongside Danny McBride in a series of trailers advertising a supposed reboot of the 1986 hit film Crocodile Dundee. Later trailers featured Aussie superstars Hugh Jackman, Margot Robbie and Russell Crowe.

Though the star-studded trailers were quite convincing, the world soon learned the reboot was not in fact a real movie but was part of a big joke. The punchline arrived during the Super Bowl when we found out Dundee was just a stunt on behalf of Tourism Australia. Surprisingly given the fake movie’s deliberate goofiness, folks began clamoring for someone to make a real Dundee movie. The usual online petitions began circulating. So could Dundee still become more than just a silly advertising ploy?

Speaking to the BBC, Chris Hemsworth fueled hopes that an actual non-hoax Dundee could someday happen. The actor said, “The response has been pretty incredible. I had a lot of anxiety beforehand. The Super Bowl commercial scene is a pretty critical environment so I’m just thankful people loved it.” Hemsworth added:

“While shooting, Danny McBride and I spoke about if it could be a movie. We started to get worried that if this commercial is as good as we hoped it’s going to be, people are going to be disappointed, we’re going to have to make a movie. But I had so much fun making this commercial, I’d definitely be open to discussions about it.”

Goofy doesn’t begin to describe the Dundee movie promised by the trailers. In the initial clip, we see McBride posed on top of a picturesque Australian cliff, dressed like his supposed father Crocodile Dundee. “G’day, losers,” McBride says into the camera, with no trace of an Aussie accent. The implication is that this is the son of Dundee via Sue, the American journalist played in the original films by Linda Kozlowski (who incidentally became Paul Hogan’s real-life wife). Far from being a rugged man of the outback, Dundee the Younger is a total bro.

In clip number two, Dundee meets up with Hemsworth, his typically amiable Aussie guide. In another later clip, McBride and Hemsworth recreate a scene from the original film where Crocodile subdues a pesky water buffalo using outback hypnotism. Jackman, Robbie and Crowe all show up in a further trailer as random weirdo Australian characters. In the final commercial that aired during the Super Bowl, a disappointed McBride learns from Hemsworth – and Paul Hogan himself – that he’s not really in a Dundee reboot. However, Australia is still a very nice place to visit.

At least according to Hemsworth, Dundee could still see the light of day. The original film of course did shockingly well, grossing $328 million. The 1988 sequel also made bank, grossing $239 million. As a result of the series’ success, Hogan became an unlikely international star. Some would argue Hogan’s caricatured portrayal of a rugged Aussie from the outback was offensively crude. Though it bears mentioning that Australia itself seems to still embrace him.