During that heady period when a BioShock movie was in the works, concept artist Jim Martin (Alice in Wonderland, Captain America: The First Avenger) created a whole bunch of designs illustrating his take on the game's crumbling dystopia, Rapture.

Fortunately for us, Martin has published several pieces of this concept art on his website, giving us a glimpse of Rapture's beautiful art deco exteriors and gloomy industrial interiors that never made it to the silver screen. Check out a couple of pieces below, and head to Martin's website for the full set.

The cinematic adaptation of BioShock was originally going to be handled by Pirates of the Caribbean's Gore Verbinski working under Universal Pictures, but the project stalled in 2010 due to budgetary concerns. After Verbinski left and another director was brought in, BioShock creator Ken Levine killed the project himself.

"I didn't really see the match [with the new director]," said Levine at a BAFTA event last year. "Take Two is one of those companies that gives a lot of trust to their creative people and so they said to me, 'If you want to kill it Ken, kill it.' And I killed it."

Levine said he ultimately didn't want to "see it done in a way I didn't think was right."