screenshot-2021.01.27-00_33_40.jpg

Promising Young Woman star Carey Mulligan is set to lead the cast of the upcoming romantic drama Fingernails, which is currently in development. Cate Blanchett's Dirty Films will produce the project, and Greek director Christos Nikou is slated to co-write and direct. Dirty Films also partnered with Nikou on his latest film Apples, which was selected to represent Greece in the 2021 Oscars race for Best International Feature Film. Nikou's English-language debut Fingernails will follow a woman named Anna who, after questioning her own relationship, begins working at a mysterious institute that explores and manipulates the presence of romantic love between couples.

Mulligan has signed on to play Anna, and Nikou told Deadline that the role was specifically created with her in mind. He said he was "blown away" by her performance in Promising Young Woman and excited when she immediately jumped on the role in Fingernails. According to Deadline, Mulligan joined the project after being impressed by Nikou's work on Apples. Check out Nikou's full quote below:

“We created the role of Anna with Carey Mulligan in mind and are thrilled that she said yes immediately. Carey is such a talented and magnetic actress, and I was blown away by her performance in Promising Young Woman. I am more than excited to begin work with Carey and bring Fingernails to life in collaboration with my producers Cate Blanchett, Coco Francini and Andrew Upton at Dirty Films.”
screenshot-2021.01.27-00_36_19.jpg

Mulligan is still riding the wave of success following her critically-acclaimed turn in Promising Young Woman, which will likely lead to her second Oscar nomination for Best Actress and possibly her first win. But Emerald Fennell's revenge thriller is just the beginning of a busy year for the British actress. In addition to her work in Promising Young Woman and her upcoming role in Fingernails, Mulligan joined the cast of Bradley Cooper's upcoming Leonard Bernstein biopic Maestro and also stars in the Netflix drama The Dig, available to stream January 29.