Captain Marvel star Brie Larson was initially hesitant to accept the title role in the MCU Phase 3 production, but decided the film was worth doing in the end. It’s been a long time coming for Marvel’s first solo female superhero film, but all the pieces are starting to come into place. Just last week, the studio announced Mississippi Grind directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck will helm the project, which begins principal photography in February 2018. At the forefront of it all has been the Oscar-winner Larson, who was revealed as Carol Danvers during Marvel’s Hall H presentation at San Diego Comic-Con last year and has continuously voiced her excitement for the movie.

This is a big career step for the actress, as in typical MCU fashion she has a multi-picture contract in place that will see her portray Captain Marvel in various films over the next handful of years. As one can expect, it wasn’t the easiest choice for Larson to make, and she didn’t immediately want to jump into the MCU machine. It took her some time before she officially signed on.

In an interview with Vanity Fair, Larson talked about being cast as Captain Marvel, revealing her primary motivation for taking the part on:

“It took me a really long time. I had to sit with myself, think about my life and what I want out of it. Ultimately, I couldn’t deny the fact that this movie is everything I care about, everything that’s progressive and important and meaningful, and a symbol I wished I would’ve had growing up. I really, really feel like it’s worth it if it can bring understanding and confidence to young women – I’ll do it.”

Larson has made similar statements in the past, expressing her desire to be an inspiring figure for young girls in the audience, giving them a hero to look up to. Though she is obviously passionate about the material and seems like a strong fit for the role, it makes sense she took it under consideration for a while. Joining a mega franchise like the MCU is a huge commitment with lengthy production schedules and global promotional tours taking a toll. Even with the perks of international fame, it’s clear that kind of working environment isn’t for everyone, and some high-profile names have turned down blockbuster roles because they’re uncomfortable with certain conditions. Obviously, Larson feels okay with the whole process and is excited to get started, so hopefully she can be an MCU mainstay as the torch gets passed to a new generation of characters.

Lack of diversity has been a pressing issue in the MCU thus far, but the studio is making plenty of strides in that department. Next year sees the release of Ryan Coogler’s Black Panther standalone, and a full-formed Wasp will be at the center of the Ant-Man sequel, fittingly titled Ant-Man & the Wasp. Of course, Captain Marvel is a key part of Marvel’s plans moving forward, presenting the creative team with its own kinds of pressures to deal with. If it – along with DC’s Wonder Woman film – can be successful critically and commercially, it’ll be a monumental occasion for the comic book genre as a whole.

http://screenrant.com/captain-marvel...ting-hesitant/