BODYGUARD'S Richard Madden has confirmed that he is in talks for a second series of the popular BBC drama.

The actor revealed that he will be meeting with the show's creator, Jed Mercurio, in the coming weeks to discuss ideas - adding that it may end up like anthology series American Horror Story.

Speaking to Deadline, Richard, 32, said that he may well be returning to our screens as PC David Budd.

He shared: "I'm going to meet Jed in a couple of weeks, to have a chat and see what's in his brilliant brain.

"So, I'm like, what can happen next? You know, with David.

"Because he had a hell of a couple months there. Where do you go with this guy?"
different incarnation of it, and I'm a royal and Keeley [Hawes, his co-star] is on my protection team.

"And you get all the rest of the actors back, and we all do different things. But who knows what's in Jed's mind. I'm very keen to hear."

The show's finale saw Richard's character forced to walk through the streets of London wearing a bomb vest after being knocked out by a mob boss.

And the actor admitted that the scenes may make it difficult for PC Budd to return to the police force going forward.

He added: "I think, you know, David Budd, he walks about London with a bomb on.

"Everyone definitely knows his face now. He can't really slip back into police work again. What's his life like after that?"

Bodyguard first hit our screens in August this year and quickly became the most-watched drama since records began in 2002.

The BBC show drew in an audience of 17.1 million across 28 days - the largest audience recorded for a TV show that wasn't a sporting or national event since 2010.

The series followed troubled bodyguard and police officer David and his relationship with Home Secretary Julia Montague, who was killed off halfway through the series.

The show's creator, Jed, previously teased that viewers could expect up to four instalments of the programme - but it wasn't confirmed whether the first season's characters will return.

Yesterday, The Sun's Bizarre column revealed that American viewers were struggling to understand Bodyguard as they were confused by Richard's Scottish accent.

The baffled Americans thought that PC Budd had been calling the Home Secretary "mum" instead of "ma'am" - believing that she was his mother.

Bodyguard was made available to US fans on Netflix earlier this week, and one New Yorker tweeted: "The whole time I’ve been thinking David Budd in The Bodyguard has been saying ‘Mom’ but it’s ‘Ma’am’.

"Thank god. Really made me think I was watching a show with a ton of incest in it."