Black Panther has remained superheroic at the box office, hitting $US1 billion in worldwide takings.

In its fourth weekend in North American cinemas, the Marvel film had takings of $US41.1 million ($52m) at 3,942 locations.

It easily topped the opening weekend of fantasy-adventure movie A Wrinkle in Time, which took $US33.5 million ($43m) at 3,980 sites.

With $US562 million ($715m) in 24 days at US cinemas, Black Panther is now the seventh-highest-grossing domestic film of all time.

It is the first film since Star Wars: The Force Awakens to lead the North American box office for four straight weekends, and it has grossed $US1.08 billion ($1.2b) worldwide, making it 21st highest of all time.

The film stars Chadwick Boseman, who plays the crime-fighting ruler of a fictional African nation, Wakanda.

In other key roles are Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o, Michael B Jordan and Daniel Kaluuya.

The film has been praised for the work of its largely black cast and black director, Ryan Coogler.

Former first lady Michelle Obama tweeted that she loved the film, which she said inspired "people of all backgrounds to dig deep".

Dave Hollis, the president of worldwide distribution for Disney, told Variety that Black Panther and A Wrinkle in Time embraced inclusion through their portrayals of strong female and minority characters.

"Audiences respond to seeing themselves on the big screen, and it's good business for us," he said.

Last month, Coogler wrote a letter thanking fans for their support.

"I am struggling to find the words to express my gratitude at this moment, but I will try," he wrote.

"Deep down we all hoped that people would come to see a film about a fictional country on the continent of Africa, made up of a cast of people of African descent.

"Thank you for giving our team of filmmakers the greatest gift: The opportunity to share this film, that we poured our hearts and souls into, with you."