SANDI Toksvig has defended Rahul Mandal over claims he cheated on this week’s great British Bake Off.

The 60-year-old, who hosts the show alongside Noel Fielding, waded into the debate after Rahul was spotted decorating his cake after time was up.

Speaking about the incident, she told Digital Spy: “What you see is what you get [with Rahul].

“He’s a really charming man with very little self-confidence and an astonishing talent.”

“The others all have talent, Briony is talented, Ruby is talented, Kim-Joy is talented but at the end of the day, it’s that bake on that day. I’m sorry if there is a backlash.”

She added: “Everybody is doing their best. These are not telly people. These are people who have decided to put themselves forward to do something that they are passionate about. So, I would hate for there to be a backlash against anybody.”

On Tuesday evening Bake Off viewers spotted the baker adding the finishing touches to his Showstopper after hosts Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig had announced time was up.

One said: "#BakeOff Rahul cheating, decorating his cake after time’s up as he walks up with it! #cheater."

Another added: "#bakeoff Rahul keeps working after the time's up every time #cheat."

Someone else added: "The time had finished yet Rahul was still putting decorations on top of his cake! Seriously!!

"I used to like him and root for him to win but not anymore! So tilted and stacked for him to win. #GBBO.'"

Despite some controversy on Twitter, Rahul made it through to the final alongside Kim-Joy and Ruby.

It was the end of the road for Briony Williams, who struggled to hold back her tears after being booted out of a mishap-filled Patisserie week.

The Bristol native, 33, said: "I'm sad to not be going through but so happy with how far I've come in so many ways. What an experience.

"I still love baking. I love it more than ever! I don't often say I'm proud of myself, but I am."

The final of the Channel 4 series, which airs next Tuesday, will see Ruby, Rahul and Kim-Joy take on a task outside of the iconic marquee, in a big twist for the 2018 series.

For the first time ever, producers will ditch the beloved tent for the technical challenge