SCREEN legends Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway were given a second chance at handing out the Best Picture Oscar after last year’s historic stuff up.

But that didn’t stop an awkward ending to an otherwise lacklustre Oscars ceremony.

They presented director Guillermo del Toro with the award for Best Picture for his movie The Shape of Water, with del Toro leading his cast and crew onto the stage.

Del Toro checked the envelope as he accepted it from Beatty, nodding to the audience that yes, it was correct, The Shape of Water had won Best Picture.
But a cringe-worthy moment came when the Oscars orchestra cut off one of The Shape of Water’s producers as they attempted to speak after del Toro.

Some social media users wondered what happened, and branded the moment “awkward”.

Oscars host Jimmy Kimmel then returned to the stage, and asked one of those involved what he wanted to say, before ending the show with an odd “jetski” gag involving Helen Mirren.

Mirren emerged on a jetski as Kimmel announced that Oscar-winning costume designer Mark Bridges had “won” it as a reward for delivering the shortest speech.

MARGOT’S MOMENT

Australian star Margot Robbie lost the Best Actress Oscar to Frances McDormand, who used her acceptance speech to make a statement about female empowerment in Hollywood.

“I’m hyperventilating a little bit — if I fall over, pick me up, because I’ve GOT SOME THINGS TO SAY,” began McDormand, who won for her role in drama Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

She went on to have every female nominee in the house stand then said: “OK, look around ladies and gentlemen, because we all have stories to tell and projects we need financed.”

To much applause, she told financiers not to “talk to it about us at the parties tonight” but to schedule meetings later in the week and make it happen.

Robbie, 27, also produced the film I, Tonya.

AUSSIE WINNER

Lee Smith collected our only Oscar of the night, winning Best Film Editing for Dunkirk.

This is the fourth time an Aussie has won the Oscar in the editing category in last eight years.

“I just wanna say this is the most awesome thing that can happen to a guy like me. I want to start by thanking Christopher Nolan — they moved me from over there to sit with him,” Smith said.

“Chris is an editor himself — he doesn’t handle the actual equipment, I’m very happy with that.”

Smith, from Sydney, also thanked his daughter “up in the nosebleed section”.

MARGOT JOINS KIMMEL’S CINEMA STUNT

Margot Robbie joined Oscars host Kimmel, Gal Gadot, Armie Hammer, Guillermo del Toro, Lin Manuel Miranda and Lupita Nyong’o by surprising a cinema full of punters across the road from the Dolby Theatre.

“This is so much better than the Oscars,” Wonder Woman star Gadot said to cheers when the crowd realised what was going on.
Kimmel got the crowd of stars at the Oscars to say “thank you” to the punters.

Baby Driver star Ansel Elgort fired hot dogs into the crowd from an air gun while Robbie handed out snacks.

Kimmel then had an audience member to introduce the next presenter — Tiffany Haddish — whose name he proceeded to mess up. Which is why we pay professionals to do this.

KIMMEL’S SCATHING MONOLOGUE

Earlier, Kimmel took aim at disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein in a biting Oscars opening monologue.

Comedian Kimmel discussed the Academy taking action to expel Weinstein from their ranks in the wake of widespread rape and sexual harassment allegations.

“There were a lot of great nominees but Harvey deserved it the most,” Kimmel said, to applause.

He joked if Hollywood leads by example and wiped out harassment in the workplace, “women will only have to deal with harassment every other place they go”.

Kimmel spoke of the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements as being “positive change” and joked that he remembered a time when studios didn’t believe women or black people could open a movie.

“I remember that time because it was March last year,” Kimmel said.

Speaking about the Weinstein controversy, Kimmel added: “We can’t let bad behaviour slide anymore,” said Kimmel. “The world is watching us.”

Meantime, Kimmel also hilariously addressed last year’s Best Picture envelope fiasco in his opening monologue at the Oscars.

“This year, when you hear your name called, don’t get up right away — give us a minute,” Kimmel joked onstage at the Dolby Theatre.

The Oscars host said he was asked last year if he wanted to do comedy with the accountants: “The accountants went ahead and did comedy on their own. But it won’t happen again.”

Of course, he was referring to last year’s debacle when La La Land was wrongly announced by Beatty and Dunaway as the winner of Best Picture, when the actual winner was Moonlight.