Honestly speaking, almost all of us have downloaded something or the other illegally in our lifetime, be it a game, a movie, a song or a software program. Many people used to pirate almost everything but later with the development of technology some reduced it and later it wasn’t even required anymore.

Piracy has affected almost each and every part of the industry of entertainment from independent publishers to large scale corporations. Though Piracy isn’t immoral, it is no doubt illegal, besides that why pirates purchase more and more, they needn’t purchase every single thing they pirate and this adversely affects the industry in the scene, especially when the independent creators are in question. This doesn’t matter to many online users at all, until the day comes when legally buying media would be easier as piracy.

The two main reasons why people start piracy are:

Digital was confusing and very expensive.
A good customer experience was never provided.

So, here is why people go legit after stopping piracy:

The main reason why many people stopped encouraging piracy is that, now piracy takes a myriad of steps. Downloading anything from a legitimate source is a way better experience than piracy is.

Reputable sellers have almost every digital copy as soon as it is made available in stores and it can be obtained cheaply if we manage to wait for a little while. Apple, Google and Steam have large sales on almost everything they put on sale. Spending any amount of time while waiting for the delivery of the content we ordered isn’t a very good idea. Currently, it is much easier to download legitimately or stream than it is to indulge in piracy. And all this from verified websites and sources without security problems. How many times you’ve downloaded an infected torrent and spent days to recover your system?

Software Companies and Media Have Made Everything Easier

Though it took the media companies a lot of time but as of today, it is extremely easy to download whatever we want , on any device for a considerable cost. These downloads are accessible at all places as they are capable of syncing across devices and accounts. Easy to understand and use interfaces are present. Hence these days piracy of anything isn’t as easy as downloading any particular thing legally. With a smart phone, a tablet, a computer and a game console attached to my television set, I have easy access to all the mediums I could possibly want to have.

MUSIC: Spotify and Rdio services have made the sampling of albums free.
MOVIES: A lot of movies are available at cheap prices on Amazon, though an amazon player is required to play all these, which is now-a-days quite easily available.
SOFTWARE and GAMES: Almost any game I want can be easily downloaded prom Steam, PSN or Xbox Live.
BOOKS: Free e-books can be obtained from Kindle’s massive lending library.

Thus, switching to legal ways and ending piracy proved to be more cost- effective for me.