Waffles Staff Picks - December Edition->2014-12-20 15:41:10

Waffles Staff Picks - December Edition

Welcome to the December edition of the Waffles.fm Staff Picks. Please remember we do not look to balance genres or purposely seek out diversity - these are simply albums by bands that we love, and hope that you find something you enjoy as well. Note that each pick may be an individual track, or an entire album (for the purpose of the theme). In every case, however, the entire album will be FL.

Theme: The Morning After Christmas

icebox

Artist: Buzzcocks
Album: Spiral Scratch EP
Track: Boredom

B'dum B'dum.
Howard Devoto scores a direct hit on the 1977 Punk zeitgeist, then promply leaves the band to form Magazine. You don't know these bands? Get to work!

no it's not about the holidays, but post-holiday time is a depressing time for many. Ennui is a type of that hence this song. Thought about a song about SAD from the Carpenters, but I'm not foisting the Carpenters on the userbase.

izmo

Artist: Captain Sensible
Track: One Christmas Catalogue

Christmas music is still appropriate for the day after Christmas. So here's one of my favorite Christmas songs.

Woodenhead

Artist: Earth
Album: Hex; Or Printing In The Infernal Method

Because this album is exactly how I feel after a whirlwind couple of days of xmas dinners breakfasts lunches brunches and more food thrown in on top for good measure.

condon313

Artist: The Taxpayers
Album: Exhilerating News
Track: Everybody Does a Little Cocksucking

Fucking Christmas cocks.

Sowilo

Artist: Spiritual Front
Album: Black Hearts in Black Suits

Last December, a new Spiritual Front album came out. I listened to it and kept listening to it, and now it's next December, and I'm still listening to it. Going in listening to this, I knew nothing about it except it was from the same "nihilist suicide pop" band that made the masterpiece Armageddon Gigolo. Expecting more experimental rock, I instead received a sort of opera, with Simone Salvatori's outstanding vocals and a full orchestra, with piano and string instruments. Inspired by director Rainer Werner Fassbinder, and even featuring a song with lyrics written by Oscar Wilde and music by Peer Raben. Definitely an album I'll be listening to before and after this Christmas a year after buying it.

olenpriit

Artist: Maria Minerva
Album: Cabaret Cixous

The day after Christmas is one of my last days off before getting back to work and other things. Hence it is a time of complacence and weirdness as I let total stasis wash over me. This is the album for that day.

lostsupper

Artist: Jeremy Soule
Album: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Original Soundtrack
Track: Bro. All of them.

Here is music for recovery. There's something very special in this soundtrack. I've spent hundreds of hours listening to it and its effects do not diminish.

Lorentz

Artist: Stars of the Lid
Album: Gravitational Pull vs the Desire for an Aquatic Life

I don't know about you, but I just wanna float away and relax after the socially-active part of the holidays and be on my own for a bit. This album hits that for me.

edgewyn

Artist: tinyforest
Album: A Very Tiny Christmas

An ode to Vince Guaraldi. I hope you enjoy, and Merry Christmas.