Waffles Staff Picks - September Edition

Welcome to the May edition of the Waffles.fm Staff Picks. Please remember we do not look to balance genres or purposely seek out diversity - these are simply albums/tracks by bands that we love, and we hope that you find something you enjoy as well. Note that each pick may be an individual track, or an entire album (for the purpose of the theme). In every case, however, the entire album will be FL.

Theme: GOLD

izmo

Artist: Born Gold
Track: Lawn Knives

When I first heard this song the project was called Gobble Gobble. They changed the name to Born Gold so that they could be part of this gold edition of staff picks.

Get It Here

kaishin521

Artist: Thundercat
Track: Goldenboy

Not gonna lie, I just typed the word "gold" into my iTunes search and picked my favorite album that was returned by the search. That being said, I am not apathetic about Thundercat -- dude's jazz fusion stylings are beastly. Make sure to check him out in Flying Lotus's work too.

Get It Here

Woodenhead

Artist: Haley Bonar
Album: Golder

The other staff picks may be gold, but mine is Golder. Haley Bonar is a criminally under-exposed artist, and this album is pure gold. (well kinda - my vinyl copy is gold and pink splatter haha) For me, this LP goes down best in the autumn, perhaps while on a nice country drive or a casual bike ride, while the leaves are changing colour...

Get It Here

nomado

Artist: Amplifier
Track: Elysian Gold

"Amplifier is one of those bands that very few people have heard of, but all of their albums and songs are awesome. Definitely a must have!"

Get It Here

galador

Artist: Adventure Club
Track: Gold

"Stay gold."

Get It Here

wozgo

Artist: Simple Minds
Album: New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)

This is one of my desert island albums. The sound they created here is amazing. 80s new wave music at its finest.

Get It Here

Sowilo

Artist: Andy Irvine & Paul Brady
Album: Andy Irvine & Paul Brady

A little piece of Irish gold; one of the best folk albums ever to be recorded, and there's not much music that suits autumn better than it, either. This is what happens when Andy Irvine and Paul Brady of Planxty fame team up with Donal Lunny and Kevin Burke of The Bothy Band.

Get It Here

condon313

Artist: Bars of Gold
Album: Of Gold

Bars of Gold combines some of Wildcatting and some of Bear Vs Shark. For fans of guitars and measured yelling.

Get It Here

MidniteRockr

Artist: You Say Party! We Say Die!
Track: Heart of Gold

I love this song because it reminds me of my best friend.

Get It Here

icebox

Artist: The Lucksmiths
Track: The Golden Age of Aviation

This pleasant little ditty about a lover's spat is typical Lucksmiths. Clever lyrics, with a nice catchy indiepop sound. Originally appeared on the EP Staring at the Sky (1999), which is here but in an old rip. If you like Sarah, C86 etc, you probably know about these guys already, but if not, they're a real treat.

Get It Here

pogglywoggly

Artist: Sting
Track: Fields of Gold

Great relaxing song that just makes you think about walking outside, seeing the leaves change, and all that good stuff that goes along with fall.

Get It Here

lostsupper

Artist: Stay Gold
Album: Pills and Advice

Great album that spoke to me at a very specific time.

Get It Here

radicaldino

Artist: Infected Mushroom
Album: Friends On Mushrooms Vol. 2

Psytrance meets complextro. An example of the maturationrom of the ever evolving Israeli duo Infected Mushroom. If you enjoy, or simply appreciate production value as an audiophile or someone involved with music production themselves, I highly recommend checking out their other works and latest LP as well.

Get It Here

SUPER SPECIAL BONUS USER PICK! Courtesy of:

drummond

Artist: Various Artists
Track: Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968

Here in Brazil we don't have our seasons well defined (usually it's either a HOT summer or a less hot winter), so no leaves turning to brown when autumn comes around. Therefore, for the theme gold, I can only think of... gold! Here are nothing less than 118 nuggets that are sure to turn you into a greedy 60's garage and psychedelia gold digger.
PS: The 320 CBR torrent has scans of the booklet.

Get It Here