Waffles Staff Picks: September

Waffles Staff Changes and Staff Picks - September Edition

Welcome to the September edition of the Waffles.fm Staff Picks. Please remember we do not look to balance genres or purposely seek out diversity - these are simply albums by bands that we love, and hope that you find something you enjoy as well. Note that each pick may be an individual track, or an entire album (for the purpose of the theme). In every case, however, the entire album will be FL.

Before we get to the picks, a few changes in our staff have happened since the last batch of picks went up. Vitz has resigned from the mod staff for now, though he may return one day, and Woodenhead is scaling back his involvement on staff as well. We wish them both well, and hope they stay around the site going forward. Also, I've been promoted to Adminstrator to replace Woodenhead. With that, on to the picks:

Theme: Dichotomy (Dependence)

420billy

Artist: Elevator
Album: Darkness → Light

storys and sounds created between the winter solstice of 2001 and the summer solstice of 2002

Get It Here

icebox

Artist: Veronica Falls
Album: Waiting For Something To Happen
Track: Waiting For Something To Happen

This is about the classic thought vs (lack of) action dichotomy in many wanted, but moving too slow romantic encounters. And it's on the wonderful indie poppy second Veronica Falls album, a fine release for your collection. Grab it and go!

Get It Here

izmo

Artist: Eisley
Album: Room Noises
Track: Golly Sandra

I don't know what the connection between dependence and dichotomy is so here is my pick. I've created a dichotomy separating my pick and the theme, thus simultaneously conforming and not.

A notable quote from the YouTube comments: "i love this song it's so gay and cute. it's the anthem of my life."

Get It Here

Pogglywoggly

Artist: Major Lazer
Album: Peace Is The Mission
Track: Lean On

"What will we do when we get old?
Will we walk down the same road?
Will you be there by my side?
Standing strong as the waves roll over"

Get It Here

condon313

Artist: Sage Francis
Album: Personal Journals
Track: Crack Pipes

Sage Francis is one of my favorites. Crack is wack, y'all.

Get It Here

Woodenhead

Artist: The Helio Sequence
Album: Keep Your Eyes Ahead

A perfect album for both themes here. And one of my all-time favourites, as well. I'll just leave a lyric here; you can listen to the album and decide for yourselves. (and do please give this whole album a fair listen - you won't be disappointed)

Lately, I don't think of you at all
Or wonder what you're up to, or how you're getting on
I never think of calling you, or how things could have been
Or wonder where you sleep at night, or whose arms you wake in

Get It Here

Haarry

Artist: Jega
Album: Geometry
Track: Geometry

A lot of my favorite electronic acts toy with the idea of cycling between serene predictability and a sort or randomness to create tension. I guess if you wanted to really get stuck into the theory the whole appeal of any kind of music is a counteraction between perfection of execution and the human error that gives it it's character. Nobody really has to be more aware of this than the electronic musician, Jega has always been a way under-rated master of this and in this case I feel like he made an album specifically about it. It's a great album for late night coding or some more technical gaming

Get It Here

Nomado

Artist: Arch Enemy
Album: Burning Japan Live
Track: Bridges Of Destiny

"Awaiting my minds weakest moment
Old words from an old world
Against the laws of nature
They say the truth is overrated"

Get It Here

Lorentz

Artist: Chinese Man
Album: Racing With The Sun

I have no idea what a French trip hop group has to do with calling themselves Chinese Man, but the tunes are good, so I must recommend it as an Australian.

Get It Here

radicaldino

Artist: Unwritten Law

Album: Here's To The Mourning

mother ive tried over and over and over to open my eyes, look at my life tell me when did i die cause im not alive, flip through the script and tell me what it says, skip through the story tell me how it ends. it goes on and on and on and on...

Get It Here