As a BitTorrent employee and Developer Evangelist on Sync, I consider a big part of my job to be general awareness around how BitTorrent and Sync are making the Internet better. As such, I try to take on as many opportunities as possible to host meetups at BitTorrent HQ for local developer groups like Ethereum, student groups like the University of Twente, programming competitions for university groups like UC San Diego’s Women in Computing, and all who feel that privacy, security and a better Internet is something we should all contribute to.

Last week I had the privilege of speaking to a group of high school students enrolled in a Computer Security course at UC Berkeley’s Academic Talent Development Program. I was blown away by how much these students “got it” – there was no shortage of hands raised when I asked the small class who could explain to me how a DMCA Takedown works on cloud storage sites, or how long it would theoretically take to break the AES-128 encryption we use on BitTorrent Sync.

For next week’s post, I’m in beautiful Las Vegas attending DEF CON 22 (protip: have you always wanted one of those coveted Sync T-Shirts? Follow me on Twitter @Aaronliao if you’re at DEF CON to find out how to score one). In the spirit of hacking and reverse engineering, I want to draw attention to what the technologists of tomorrow are learning and working on today and talk about the Capture the Flag (CTF) competition that followed my brief talk on the importance of Peer-to-Peer, decentralised internet, Sync and the pitfalls of cloud storage.