In an interview with Stuff Magazine, Netflix’s chief content officer Ted Sarandos made a very bold claim. He says that whenever Netflix launches in a new region, popular pirating platform Bittorent, suffers a significant drop in traffic.

“I think people do want a great experience and they want access – people are mostly honest. The best way to combat piracy isn’t legislatively or criminally but by giving good options,” explained Sarandos.

I know that since I’ve become a Netflix subscriber, I’ve slowly started to “torrent” less files. Since Netflix is priced at only $7.99 a month it comes down to the convenience factor.

Sifting through a Torrent search side, looking for that certain episode of a television show or film that has enough seeders to warrant a download, occasionally gets rather annoying.

According to Variety, over 20,000 copies of Netfix’s exclusive series, House of Cards, have been shared over Torrent site The Pirate Bay. Most of these files were downloaded in countries where Netflix isn’t available though.

HBO is also considering lifting restrictions on its HBO Go streaming service and allowing anyone to subscribe to it and not just HBO television subscribers, in an effort to combat piracy.

It seems inexpensive subscription-based content models could possibly be the future of how we watch television and movies.

Source: o.Canada