LibreTorrent developer responds after Google ejects app from Play Store, offers alternative download sources

You can almost certainly find any file you need on the vast number of torrent websites today. More often than not, torrent websites are portrayed as the home of pirated content, but truth be told, there are also many legit torrent websites to download files from.

The fact that torrent websites have for the longest time been associated with pirated content means they are always under the radar of law enforcers. To date, quite a good number of major torrent websites have been taken down, but still, there is a huge list of active torrent sites out there.

With Internet service providers across the globe continuing to offer higher download speeds every other time, torrent file downloads continue to flourish. But to access torrent files, you need to install a torrent client on your device.

Most people are already familiar with desktop torrent clients such as uTorrent and BitTorrent, however, it’s also possible to download your favorite torrents on your Android smartphone as well. One of the best apps in the business is LibreTorrent.

Having first popped up in beta back in 2016, LibreTorrent got its first stable version in late 2018 and finally a spot in the Google Play Store earlier this year. However, the latter didn’t last long as the search giant went on to kick out the app from the popular app Market.

This happened on October 8 and according to the developer, Google ejected the app from the Play Store on suspicion of spam or rather non-original content. Even after numerous attempts to resolve the issue, the developer claims Google doesn’t seem to be interested in doing so.

Apparently, the only way to bring LibreTorrent back to the Google Play Store is by renaming and laying it out again.

October 8, 2019 LibreTorrent was removed from Google Play. The reason is Spam (non-original content). As I can think, this was due to the fact that there were many LibreTorrent clones on Google Play and Google just uninstalled all the apps without understanding the essence of what was happening. I filed an appeal, but in response I was told that they can not help in any way and the only option is to rename the application and lay it out again. I sent several more appeals confirming me as the developer of the original LibreTorrent, but they were all ignored by Google. Therefore, LibreTorrent will no longer be hosted on Google Play.

The fact that LibreTorrent is an open source app with no ads and lets you do stuff like configure notifications, adjust download speeds, and automatically stop all downloads at low battery levels of below 15%, among others, has been able to win over many fans.

If you are one of these fans, worry not because the developer says the app will still live on, but through platforms like F-Droid and 4PDA, with more alternative sources to be added later on.