When following self-described internet entrepreneur, innovator, gamer and fighter, Mega Man Kim Dotcom, it seems that January has become his favorite month for big news. On January 11th, Kim Dotcom announced on his Twitter feed that he plans to launch his own political party in New Zealand. He tweeted “Get ready for low blows and smear against me and my political party. My attackers are worried. They should be. We will get more than 5%”, and he also tweeted “My political party will activate non-voters, the youth, the Internet electorate. We are going to make politics exciting. More on January 20.” He plans to call his working party Megaparty, and also announced on his Twitter feed that he’s planning a huge party on January 20th for his political party launch.

As we all remember, Kim Dotcom’s Megaupload file-sharing site was shut down by the U.S. government on January 19, 2012. Exactly one year from that date, on January 19, 2013, he launched MEGA, which is a cloud storage and file-hosting service. A notice on the MEGA site reads “No one shall be subject to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home, or correspondence. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference.” MEGA’s popular feature is that all files are encrypted locally via JavaScript before they are uploaded. On September 4, 2013, Dotcom stepped down as the Director of MEGA and has since become more of a political activist.

As noted in previous news here on , Kim Dotcom still faces possible extradition to the United States for many charges, and is also in the process of suing a New Zealand spy agency. On January 3, 2014, he gave an interview to Vice, in which he discusses all the controversial subjects that he’s dealt with, and much more.

It’s no secret that Kim Dotcom has a large following of younger people which could prove to be very beneficial in aiding his political party's goals. How successful will his political party be, and what news can we possibly expect next January?