This is what is written in the Site
================================================== ======================
UPDATE2 (Email to Michael McMahon of Match Box Pictures):
Dear Mr McMahon,

I hope that this email is received while you are having a celebratory toast to the closure of diwana.org, a website that spent the last 5.5 years actively promoting the Australian and New Zealand creative industries. Your actions have caused the destruction of a 40,000 strong vibrant international community that took active pleasure in sharing content that generally was completely unavailable to them. Not only have you misconstrued our intent, you subverted our willingness to work with content producers who, apart from your own contribution and in spite of us being named twice in the last 5.5 years in Australian newspapers, had NEVER contacted us before to complain about our free sharing of said content. Your first and only move was to contact a notorious anti-piracy group in the Netherlands and destroy all our hard work in one fell swoop. While you are sure to argue that more money and effort goes into providing the content in the first place, that belies the fact that without our help, your shows would never have reached the international audience that it has. When your content does get shown on international TV's or is sold on international websites in DVD form do you think people will recognise it for what it is because of your advertising or ours? I can assure you at least, that for the people who were members of my site, it will be the latter.

I have singled you out to our members as it is your name on the letter addressed to BREIN which I have seen now (for the first time today despite assurances it was sent before) and I have encouraged the members to send polite but strongly worded letters to you, I apologise in advance if any of them are crude or outright rude but you see, that's how passionate people were about the site. We were not trying to rip you off, the site was non-commercial, it had no ads, it had no payment for special privileges (VIP being a misnomer in this case) and the only payment the site ever received was via donation from users who were eager to watch the content. You see, that's your problem and not ours, people will willingly pay for the ability to see content from Australia and New Zealand if it is delivered in a form that means they can watch it whenever they want and as soon as it is available. We didn't even need to ask for money, we provided the content for free (as it is shown in Australian FTA television) and in return people donated to pay the server bills to keep the site running. In addition, I don't even live in Australia anymore so was unable to provide the content myself, the site itself never actually stored your content or anyone else's it merely provided a way for like-minded users to share content in an orderly way, you aren't attacking me, you are attacking your potential consumers.

What makes your actions even more bizarre in my book is that you don't even recognise how futile your actions ultimately will be. Already like-minded sites, some with commercial intent, are swooping upon my members and welcoming them with open arms so not only have you removed a genuine (and free) advertisement for the Australian and New Zealand content industries, you have actively turned your potential paying consumers into paying consumers of someone else.

It's a zero sum game for you, if only you had contacted us first.

Well, have fun with all of this, I'll enjoy my rest and relaxation, the game is over for me but yours is just starting.

Peace

fr3ak

UPDATE: I have received more information from BREIN as to the content providers who initiated the closure of diwana they are Match Box Pictures. While I do not condone or encourage any form of aggressive action against them, I will be sending a strongly worded letter to them and I can suggest that you express any disappointment you have with the closure of the site to them. diwana.org and it's members strongly support the Australia/New Zealand creative industries, we were never a commercial pirate organisation, merely citizens of the world and more importantly many of us citizens of the above countries who wanted to share content that was not commercially available for viewing in other countries. Far from detracting from the attractiveness of said content, we actively promoted the creative industries of our countries and we believe that some of these shows would never have had such commercial availability if they had not first been available on diwana.org or indeed countless other sites around the internet.

It is a sad day when the actions of the few affect the enjoyment of the lives of so many others, we were not a big site, but we were a fantastic community. I will take the opportunity once again to thank each and every member, past or recent for the last 5.5 years. It was a pleasure knowing you all. Hopefully at some point in the future the content industries will get it into their heads that we were never the enemy, the enemy is the failure to embrace new technology and expanded distribution systems.

Peace

fr3ak

Hi all,

I have just received a complaint email from BREIN in the Netherlands reporting me for having a site that links to copyrighted material. They state they have contacted me before and I have not complied with their requests to take material down. This is categorically untrue. In the last 5.5 years that the site has been running I have not received a single complaint from rightsholders of any of the TV shows linked to on this site. However this is not the point, BREIN has received favourable rulings from Dutch courts in the past and due to this they are able to pressure ISPs like Leaseweb (the current Dutch hosts of diwana.org) into giving up the details of the server leasee and forwarding this information to the local authorities.

Perhaps I was naive in thinking that because of the lack of complaints, the site had the unacknowledged support of rightsholders due to the excellent FREE service we gave to tens of thousands of users all over the world, giving unfettered access to Australian/New Zealand content.

It is galling and personally unsatisfying to give up so easily but the fact remains, I always said, if it came to jeopordising my personal security for the site I would give up the site in an instant, I do not have the resources to fight any legal action and that is the only way I would have been able to continue this particular battle.

What happens in the future is anyone's guess, perhaps someone with a greater set of resources or stronger will will come along and run the site into the future, perhaps you the users will just move onto the next head of the hydra, I would link to those sites here but I'd rather BREIN did it's own homework.

I will keep you all updated in the future on this page but I do believe this may be the end. I give enormous thanks to the users of the site over the last 5.5 years, particularly the uploaders as I had no access to Australian/New Zealand content myself (being an expat) and so everyone relied heavily on you.

Peace

fr3ak

p.s. this decision was not taken lightly, I have been informed that several other sites received this exact same treatment and all eventually disappeared often along with their owners...

COPY OF EMAIL RECEIVED VIA LEASEWEB FROM BREIN:

ABUSE TYPE: OTHER
URGENCY: HIGH (24hours notice)
IP: 85.17.143.79

Dear customer,

We received a complaint regarding an IP assigned to you. Please see the complaint at the bottom of this e-mail. We urge you to take appropriate action to prevent future complaints.

PLEASE NOTIFY US WITHIN 24 HOURS WITH TAKEN ACTiONS. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN AN IP BLOCK OF THE MENTIONED IP.

LeaseWeb Security Response Team (LSRT)

***** ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BY LSRT *****

We received a notification from the Dutch Anti Piracy Foundation BREIN. In the past we have lost court cases with BREIN, and are therefore forced to obey the courts order.

Please remove the following website from our network within the given 24 hours, failure to do so may result in a block of the mentioned IP.

ORIGINAL COMPLAINT BELOW
Date: November 3 2011
Subject: http://diwana.org/ (IP 85.17.143.79)

Dear Sir, Madam,

The BREIN foundation acts against piracy of entertainment content
(music, film, computer games and other interactive software) on behalf
of rights holders and interested parties such as authors, performing
artists, publishers, producers and distributors. Together these rights
holders represent the lionā?Ts share of the intellectual property rights
on entertainment content worldwide.

We have found that one of your customers operates the illegal website
http://diwana.org/ (IP 85.17.143.79). The website is offering a choice
of popular titles of TV-shows that are made available without the
required prior permission of the rights owners. The website constitutes
a platform for its many users to offer and share these titles which are
known to be protected by copyright and neighbouring rights (e.g. Packed
To The Rafters; The Slap; Wild Boys). This is unlawful

The website is structurally making use of the availability on internet
of unauthorized files with entertainment content without taking into
account the interests of copyright and neighbouring rights holders. Such
conduct is in conflict with the due care proper in social traffic and is
unmistakably unlawful with respect to the rights holders whose interests
are taken at heart or represented by BREIN. The website is causing
extensive damage to these rights holders. The website is being
maintained by one of your customers.

The owner of the site has not ceased the abovementioned illegal
activities upon demand. My request to you is to arrange for the
immediate closing down of this illegal website.

In the event you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
P. Haringsma
Pieter Haringsma
Legal Affairs
Stichting BREIN
Siriusdreef 22-28
2132WT Hoofddorp
e: pieter.haringsma@anti-piracy.nl
t: +31 23 799 7870
f: +31 23 799 7720
w: http://www.anti-piracy.nl