A British boxing fan has been fined 85,000 pounds (NZ$160,860) after a drunk friend livestreamed an Anthony Joshua boxing fight to his Facebook account.

The Mirror reports that Craig Foster was slapped with the massive bill and had his account cancelled by Sky UK when a friend watching the fight streamed the fight on Foster's iPad.

According to the Mirror more than 4000 people watched the stream of Joshua's fight against Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley Stadium.

"I'd paid for the boxing, it wasn't like I was making any money," he told the Mirror.

"My iPad was signed in to my Facebook account and my friend just started streaming the fight.

"I didn't think anything of it, then a few days later they cut my subscription.

"They're demanding the names and addresses of all my mates who were round that night but I'm not going to give them up. I said I'd take the rap."

In 2016, Sky TV New Zealand and Duco Events took eight individuals to court for the illegal live streaming Joseph Parker's knockout victory over Solomon Haumono in Christchurch.

Seven were found guilty and ordered to pay a nominal damages charge of $100, plus costs of $2670 each.

Sky chief executive John Fellet said: "We believe that piracy is theft of copyright. We will continue to work hard to protect Sky's investments in all kind of content."