Forget to submit a hold request for your mail while traveling this holiday season? Use the USPS app to submit your request.

In addition to gifts, seeing long-lost cousins and time off of work, holiday season means you're likely to be traveling. For some the destination is a short drive; for others it's a flight across the country.

For those spending extended time away from home, it's a good idea to have the post office hold your mail while you're gone. It's something I often intend on doing, but forget to actually do.

Recently I discovered you can request to have your mail held using the USPS mobile app from an iPhone or Android device and my traveling life was changed forever. OK, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. So instead let's just say I no longer have an excuse -- and now neither do you.

After installing the free app on your device, tap on the Hold Mail button and fill out the form. You can have your mail held for as little as 3, or as long as 30 days. When the hold expires, the post office can then deliver the mail in a large stack, or you can indicate you'd like to pick it up from the local branch office.

After submitting your request you'll receive an e-mail confirmation detailing your hold request, with another e-mail being sent the day your request expires.

The app also provides information on the nearest branch, tracking, order free shipping supplies, price quotes and scheduling a pickup.