I tried this neat tip of speeding up my ftp download from my seedbox. I used to have an average of 50kb/s download on a single 4.4GB file, using Filezilla. It was frustrating to keep the machine running for more than 10hours just to download it, its useless having a seedbox if I just have to keep the computer on. So, I stumbled on Filesharefreak's tips on how to speed my ftp download.

It was multi-threading vs segmented downloading. Filezilla has multi-threading, but doesn't support for segmented yet.

Multi-threading vs Segmented. — A common misconception is that multi-threading = segmented downloading. This is not the case. GoFTP is a client that claims to support multi-threading, but in truth doesn’t offer segmented. Segmentation allows an FTP client to split a single large file into multiple parts and use multiple transfers to download those parts simultaneously (ie - separate segmented parallel FTP connections). These parts are then recombined into a single file upon completion.
Before, I was using my linux desktop to download. But since LFTP is a command line, and as a noob in linux, I went for CuteFTP and used my Windows laptop to download. Currently, I was able to download a maximum of 12.0mbs with 1.xxmbs and 2.xxmbs each segments of a 4.4GB file. But my average was around 900++kbs on a single file with 100++kbs each segments. See how much difference it did take against on my old speed.

You can read the whole article, plus the FTP clients that you can use for segmentation: http://filesharefreak.com/2010/03/10...d-downloading/

By reading some comments, you can also have other alternatives, but for now, I am good with this. I just have one CON: I have to restart the queue of the files from time to time since sometimes the speed halts and shows as "?"... which I don't know if the downloading still runs or not. I'm not sure if its a software issue (patch).

One tip from me: If one of the segments shows up a yellow exclamation triangle that signifies an error, and on the session log (COMMAND/STATUS) you see an error of '500 Illegal Port', check the port of the segment. Right click on the segment file with error, select Properties. If the Transfer Mode is set to Port, change it to Auto. Then 'Transfer Selected' to restart transfer of the segment.

Little Disclaimer: I'm no pro, I just speak from experience. I'm not really a user of CuteFTP, I'm usually using Filezilla.

FTPES / FTP over explicit TLS/SSL + Segmented Downloading = Much Better.

P.S. If you tried the segmented downloading or already doing it, let us know your before and after speed results within this thread. It might help to know it is working either with little or huge difference, or not working at all. Screenshots of the speeds would be better. Happy downloading.