Do's

1) Be active - This should go without saying. This means make threads, make good comments, and get to know other members. Don't just lurk in the background. (Creeps people out) It also helps to get a feel of what people are interested in to help guide what kinds of threads to make. In my n00b days I made threads on "American Idol" and "Dancing With The Stars" here and to no surprise got very few comments. Similarly, soccer (aka football) threads get the most replies in the sports section.

2) Be nice, "just because" - There is a saying which says you can tell much about a person's character by how he treats people he doesn't need to be nice to. (especially the new members)

3) Try to use good grammar and spelling. You don't have to be perfect, but it is really hard to read posts which use "text message" speak, or UsE aLtErNaTiNg caps, or use no capitalization or punctuation.

Don't

1) Fight with staff. It's ok to disagree and give alternate positions, but once staff have made a final decision, continuing to argue becomes "beating a dead horse."

2) Be a Drama LLama - Some disagreements and problems are best dealt with by PM or in private IRC. Don't call out members or staff by name in the open forum and try to get fellow members to take sides. (For example if you are butthurt because someone made fun of you don't escalate it by making a huge deal about in in the open forum.) Drama might create interest initially, but long-term it poisons the membership.

3) Get personal when you disagree with someone. If you disagree with someone, don't say "You're an idiot." or "Anyone who thinks that is an idiot." I've seen forums where the conversation will then degenerate into "STFU" and then "No you STFU" and etc....

4) Don't act like an immature teenager, even if you are a teenager. For example, don't write on the open forum "I've got a secret. PM sent to A,B and C." (to deliberately say you are keeping others out of the "secret.") That's like those girls who give out birthday party invitations publicly only to the popular girls in the class.

Similarly, trolling members to be a jerk is also immature. The saying which comes to mind is that it's ok to laugh with someone but not at someone. (If the trolling is funny to the one being trolled, go right ahead. Like I do with @HG ) Don't get someone all riled up and then reply "U Mad?" "U Mad Bro?"

5) Don't hijack threads. This would include directing a thread to go way off topic, or changing the subject to cut the OP out of the conversation.