Microsoft launched Windows 10 Creators Update with a hidden UWP version of File Explorer. Now, a user has uncovered the same and detailed the method on Google+. You just need to create a shortcut on Windows 10 desktop and add the hidden destination address. Note that the current version of Windows 10 Creator’s Update is unstable and prone to crashes.

When Microsoft launched Windows 8, it wished to create an operating system with touchscreen devices a priority. It was a disaster. Microsoft learned its lesson, worked on the basics and brought back Start Menu. But, the goal was still the same–making the parts of Windows 10 OS to be Universal.

Microsoft has been adding new features and making small changes with each new update. Recently, the company announced that it will be shipping two major updates each year for a uniform and streamlined update process. In the latest updated version of Windows 10, i.e., Windows 10 Creators Update, the focus was on creators, obviously. Now, a keen user on Google+ has discovered how to enable a feature that has been hiding under the hood in Windows 10 Creators Update.

The feature that I’m talking about is the UWP File Explorer. While Microsoft had confirmed a Universal app version of File Explorer in the past, it was nowhere seen when the update rolled out. Don’t worry, I’ll be telling you how to activate it later in this article:

Before doing that, let me tell you the reason why Microsoft didn’t make the new and UWP File Explorer available to all. It’s because the feature is still under development. In the first look, it’ll look like the Windows 10 Mobile version of File Explorer, which is pretty basic as compared to full-fledged Windows Explorer.

First reported by OnMSFT, in UWP File Explorer, you’re just limited to looking into the content of drives; there’s no way to browse the network devices. It doesn’t have drag n drop, and other basic features are a little cumbersome.

We hope that Microsoft aims to improve this feature and make it more usable. Here’s how to access the new and hidden File Explorer right now:

How to use hidden UWP File Explorer?

Note: Please note that to use this version, you must be on Windows 10 build 15063 and above.

1. Head to your Windows 10 desktop and right-click. Now, select New > Shortcut.
  2. This should prompt you to enter the destination address. There, you need to enter the hidden location of UWP File Explorer.
  3. There, enter the following path as location and click Next: explorer shell:AppsFolder\c5e2524a-ea46-4f67-841f-6a9465d9d515_cw5n1h2txyewy!App
  4. You’ll need to enter a name for the shortcut. Enter anything–preferably, UWP File Explorer.
  5. That’s it. The icon of your desktop will change to a File Explorer. Simply double click to open it.

Please note that UWP File Explorer is currently unstable and prone to crashing. So, use it with a pinch of salt. It’s for the Windows enthusiasts, not for everyday use.

[fossBytes]