Zimbabwe’s Vice-President Kembo Mohadi, injured in a grenade attack at a governing party rally on Saturday, has been airlifted to South Africa for treatment, Zimbabwe’s state-run Herald newspaper reports.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa was quoted by the paper as saying his deputy was seriously injured but was now recovering.

Environment Minister Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri had also been taken to South Africa for an operation – and she is understood to be recovering as well, the paper said.

Video footage from the rally in Bulawayo on Saturday showed an explosion happening close to Mr Mnangagwa as he left the stage after addressing supporters.

Two people died and more than 40 were hurt.

Earlier this week, President Mnangagwa told the BBC that he suspected a group linked to former First Lady Grace Mugabe was behind the attack.

Speaking on Thursday during a state visit to Tanzania, he dismissed the explosion as a “minor incident”, the Herald reported.

You might be aware about the events that took place Saturday when a hand grenade was thrown at me. But since you see me here, it means I am now fine.

That was a minor incident, we are going to proceed with elections. We have opened up democratic space and we now have 133 political parties."

Elections are due to be held on 30 July - the first since Robert Mugabe was forced from office in November after 37 years in power.