A YOUNG couple struck it rich when they made a lucky find within a board game they’d bought in a charity shop.

Chris Lightfoot and Mandy Flack shelled out a meagre £1.50 only to later realise they had bagged a real bargain after finding £14,000 worth of diamonds rings inside.

Chris, 27, and Mandy, who moved from Sydney to Toronto, Canada, earlier this year, had bought a second hand collection of riddles called Mind Trap to play with family during a holiday.

He told Yahoo7 News: “I figured my parents were in town so we’re not exactly going to have a wild night out drinking, I thought maybe we will go to the thrift shop and pick up some board games.

“We bring it back and start playing and Mum starts asking the questions.

“She goes to put the cards back in and she's like ‘What's going on, they don't fit.’”

A hidden compartment was then spotted and hidden inside were six stunning diamond rings.

Chris said: “She reaches in and pulls out a diamond ring and then another, and another and another.

“We are just standing there looking at each other like holy s*** is this for real?”

The young couple tried to track down the board game’s original owner but drew a blank.

So they had the rings valued - discovering their £1.50 investment was a shrewd move indeed.

Mr Lightfoot did consider removing the diamonds and placing them in his teeth but decided to keep them intact to be sold if money was needed in the future.