CHINESE President Xi Jinping has met with Kim Jong-un in northern China.

The Sun reports that the North Korea leader flew to Dalian ahead of a planned US summit with US President Donald Trump.

Mr Trump announced that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was en route to North Korea to plan a historic summit.

US officials say Mr Pompeo will also press North Korea for the release of three detained American citizens, whose imminent release Trump has been hinting at.

His trip comes just days after North Korea expressed displeasure with Washington for comments suggesting Kim’s willingness to meet Mr Trump is due to massive US pressure.

“Plans are being made, relationships are building, hopefully a deal will happen and with the help of China, South Korea and Japan a future of great prosperity and security can be achieved for everyone,” Mr Trump said.

Kim was spotted having a stroll by the sea with Mr Xi during his second visit to China since March.

During yesterday’s visit to China, Kim reportedly told Mr Xi: “As long as relevant parties eliminate the hostile policy and security threats against North Korea, North Korea does not need to have nuclear weapons, and denuclearisation is achievable.”

Mr Trump tweeted about the visit after months of mounting tensions over the Secret State’s nuclear weapons testing.

He said: “I will be speaking to my friend, President Xi of China, this morning at 8:30.

Mr Trump tweeted about the visit after months of mounting tensions over the Secret State’s nuclear weapons testing.

He said: “I will be speaking to my friend, President Xi of China, this morning at 8:30.

It comes after Kim’s met rival South Korean President Moon Jae-in for historic face-to-face talks in the South.

The two heads of state had “serious, frank” discussions on the topic of denuclearising the peninsula during the first meeting on southern soil in more than six decades.

A summit is now planned between Mr Trump and Kim but no date has been confirmed.

China is North Korea’s only major ally but trade has plummeted recently after Beijing enforced UN economic sanctions following the regime’s ballistics missile tests.

According to China’s official Xinhua agency, Mr Xi told Kim of his support for talks between North Korea and the US.

He said: “After the first meeting between me and Comrade Chairman (Kim), both China-DPRK relations and the Korean peninsula situation have made positive progress. I feel happy about it.”