A WOMAN stood in her underwear outside the Criminal Courts of Justice in Dublin today with the words “This is not consent”, “No consent” and “I’m not asking for it” written all over her body.

As Stacie Ellen Murphy braved the cold outside, inside Patrick O’Dea, 51, was jailed for 17 years for raping Leona O’Callaghan, when she was 13, in a graveyard.

O’Dea, 51, also known as “Whacker”, of Pike Avenue, Limerick, was jailed after he pleaded guilty to charges of sexual assault and rape on dates in 1994 and 1995.

Leona O’Callaghan waived her right to anonymity so O’Dea could be named in reporting the case.

When Ms Murphy and Ms O’Callaghan eventually met on the steps of the court on Parkgate Street, Dublin, they embraced.

Ms Murphy told Extra.ie she had no idea that Ms O’Callaghan’s case was ongoing inside the court as she was standing outside.

She said: “I listened to her [Ms O’Callaghan] giving interviews and walked over towards her.

“I asked her what she was doing and gave her a hug, telling her how brave she was.

“She actually started crying and I was in awe of the bravery. It was so emotional and so amazing.”

Ms Murphy’s protest follows outrage last week after a defence barrister in a rape trial referred to the alleged teenage victim’s underwear.

The case, in which the male accused was acquitted, was brought to wider attention on Tuesday when TD Ruth Coppinger held up a thong in the Dail chamber to highlight the outrage felt by sections of the public.

It also sparked a popular social media campaign with women posting pictures of their underwear.

There were also protests in cities and towns across Ireland last week during which thongs and placards were held aloft with the words “this is not consent”.

Yesterday, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said he has commissioned an “eminent person” to examine the rules around evidence in the courts.

Ms Murphy, 26, from Ballybough, Dublin, added: “I want to get across that no clothing should ever be brought up in a rape court case.”

After her protest outside the court, Ms Murphy walked up to Stephen’s Green and gave a speech about consent.

She said she received a lot of support.

She said: “It was amazing. It was a great response, people were coming up to me and giving me hugs. There was a girl crying.”