A MOTORIST today blasted "spiteful" council chiefs who brought in £4-a-day parking outside her home - then fined her £60 when her car broke down two weeks later.

Furious Jennie Patterson posted a video of the ticket on her windscreen beneath a pleading note explaining the car wouldn't start and that she'd gone to get help.

The 45-year-old carried on filming as she put the key in the ignition and tried to get the car to start, showing the engine really had died.

Jennie, from Carnoustie, Angus, posted the clip to social media with the caption: "Angus Council - this is just spiteful."

Her post unleashed a torrent of criticism of the local authority - which introduced the controversial £4-a-day parking fees on the town's high street on November 1.

The tariffs mean that Jennie and her neighbours face an extra bill of around £1,000 a year to park outside their homes.

Yesterday, a fortnight after the charge was brought in, she discovered her Fiat 500 would not start.

Fearing a ticket, Jennie left a note on the dashboard which read: "Please don’t give me a ticket, engine won’t start waiting for garage to attend.”

She then left the car for an hour to walk to her local garage to try to get some help.

When she returned she discovered a traffic warden had ignored the note and slapped a ticket on her windscreen.

Among those outraged by her treatment was LorraineEWilson, who wrote: “Come on AngusCouncil. What's [Jennie] supposed to do? Lift the car on her back! #jobsworth”.

Chalmclan added: “That is despicable but since change of leadership doesn’t surprise me”.

Bonniebraefilm wrote: “Absolute swines!”.

Arts_curios added: “That’s shocking,hopefully with footage you can get that overturned!”.

HaggisGordon wrote: “Yet, I’ll bet the traffic wardens are the first to complain if you draw a c**k and balls on the back of their Hi-Viz with a marker pen. They can’t have it both ways. Pathetic”.

Angus Council admitted it was introducing the charges to raise an extra £700,000 to spend on public services.

The authority has been contacted for comment.