A NEWLY-MARRIED woman has been slammed for refusing to be a bridesmaid for her own engaged bridesmaid.

The woman explained that her main reason for turning the bride down is because she wanted to enjoy being a newlywed for a while.

Taking to Mumsnet, she explained: “My friend just assumed that I would be one of her bridesmaids (I found out when I got informed what day we were going BM dress shopping) and I have gently advised that it won’t be possible.

“Despite how rude I found her assumption, she is ordinarily a very well-intentioned person and I didn’t actually want to hurt her.

“She has other bridesmaids already so I’m not leaving her devoid of assistance.”

The woman explained that she would now happily “never be a bridesmaid again” to avoid any wedmin, such as bridal showers, dress fittings and planning.

The Mumsnet user explained: “I decided to have a bridesmaid for practical purposes and I asked only what was necessary of her as I feel that being a bridesmaid is doing someone a real favour, she also got a choice in everything, which we paid for, for the same reason.

"I’m delighted for her, looking forward to the wedding (if I get an invitation now!), have said I’m happy to offer advice, have thought of a great gift etc, but I just don’t want to be a bridesmaid and I don’t see why that’s such a scandal."

She also argued that traditionally “bridesmaids were unmarried women, acknowledging that married women were now onto the next chapter of their lives.”

The woman admitted that her stand against being a bridesmaid has raised eyebrows among her friends.

She said: “I am aware that I’m considered quite selfish with my time and energy (bonafide introvert) but I didn’t think my opinion on this particular topic was so unusual?!

“Men and women alike have GASPED in horror when I said I didn’t want to be my bridesmaid’s bridesmaid.”

However, she asked for advice from Mumsnet users, who were quick to slam her for being selfish.

One user commented: “I think you are being very selfish. You were happy for your friend to support you but you are not happy to return the favour.”

Another said: “She probably thought she should return the gesture. I'd be hurt tbh if I were her, I'd feel a bit used. You are being selfish lets be honest.”

And one person added: “You don’t sound like a great friend to be honest.”

Meanwhile one user put: “I don't think that using the excuse of being an introvert really cuts it. You are being selfish and hurtful to someone who supported you.”

However, one person said: "I’ve turned down being a bridesmaid twice. Still friends."

So do you think the woman is in the wrong or has a right to avoid any wedding drama?