A WOMAN has revealed she treats her reborn doll like a real child – taking it to the pub for dinner and enjoying evenings in together watching TV.

Aoife Kearney, 26, from Northern Ireland, who has autism, says the doll which she named Dominic has helped her with her learning difficulties.

She admits she’s never wanted an actual baby and has “no interest” in having a boyfriend, so a doll which “can’t cry, make mess or noise” is perfect for her.

Aoife says she has been subjected to cruel comments and taunts from strangers who have called her doll “creepy”, but says Dominic has really helped her with her learning difficulties.

“I am no longer anxious in social situations because I have him, and he keeps me company at home," she says.

Aoife says her perfect night in is sitting on the sofa watching TV with Dominic.

“Our favourite show is I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here,” she explains.

“I love to cuddle up with him and watch TV, or take selfies together.”

Aoife was diagnosed with autism at the age of 19. Growing up, she didn’t have many friends because she was so shy.

In 2010, when she was 16, she watched a documentary about reborn dolls with her mum Eileen Hanna, 53.

She couldn't believe how realistic they were and dreamed of having one for herself.

“I knew a fake baby would be the best company I'd ever have,” she recalls.

“They looked adorable and would be so lovely to cuddle.

“Finally last year in August, I bought one online for just over £100 from a lady called Sue, who is also a collector of reborn dolls. We're now very close friends, brought together by our shared hobby.

"My baby was worth the seven year wait. When he arrived I was so excited. He weighed five pounds and two ounces - the same weight as a real newborn baby.

“I cradled him for hours and thought he was beautiful. His birth certificate named him Dominic, which I decided to keep because it suited him.

“I have never wanted an actual baby, and I have no interest in having a boyfriend. So having a reborn doll is perfect for me.

“The best thing about Dominic is that he can’t cry, make mess or noise.”

From that day on, Aoife would take Dominic out with him in a baby carrier, visiting the hairdressers, pubs and restaurants.

She has even kitted him out in a full wardrobe consisting of onesies, tops, trousers, boots, as well as a baby bouncer and blankets. Aoife bought most of Dominic's clothes on eBay or second hand.

Aoife says: “Dominic has even got a dummy engraved with his name.

“I usually sit him in his baby bouncer and he drinks from his bottle while we eat. He gets lots of attention.

“Strangers stare at him and even ask me how old my baby is! It made me really happy. It was so lovely people thought he was real.

“One lady wanted to hold him, so I had to explain to her he wasn’t real. She was so shocked.”

Aoife claims she has had her fair share of negative comments from strangers.

“I have walked around town before, and I know people are thinking, ‘What is a 26-year-old doing with a doll?',” she admits.

“I'd love to get more. Some people have called me weird, and said that Dominic is creepy.

“It does upset me, but my mum thinks he’s great for me as I have company all the time now. Dominic makes me extremely happy.”

Aoife claims Dominic has not only helped with her learning difficulties but has also helped combat her loneliness.

She says: “Dominic is what I call my therapy doll; he has completely changed my life.

“My anxiety plays up when I am in crowded and loud places, so having Dominic with me calms me down completely.

“People have no idea how amazing reborn dolls are, I couldn't recommend it more for people with learning difficulties.

“Dominic has done wonders for me. Instead of being alone, I chat to Dominic and carry him around the house.

“I have even made a good friend out of having a reborn doll.”

She adds: “People shouldn't judge women with reborn dolls as we all have our different reasons.

“I will never give Dominic up.”