A WOMAN was gobsmacked when she was messaged by a cheeky Tinder match, who wanted to know if her FRIEND was single.

Adele Elizabeth, 23, who lives in Fulham, south-west London, matched with John on Monday - and he immediately got in touch in the search for a date.

But it wasn't brunette Adele he was after, it was her "stunning" blonde mate India Wild, 21, an apprentice mechanical engineer from Nottingham, where Adele grew up.

John's messages read: "I'm really sorry this is probably going to come across as really rude, I hope it doesn't.

"In your third picture you're with a blonde girl, she is honestly so stunning I was wondering if there was any way she was single you could maybe ask her if I could have her Instagram or number or something?

"Not trying to mug you off at all I just think she's unbelievable, sorry if that seems really rude of me".

Luckily Adele, who works at an online fitness marketplace, managed to see the funny side.

She told Fabulous Online: "I thought it was funny because I don’t take Tinder too seriously and I’m used to India getting all of the attention on nights out too.

"India isn’t interested in him. I am still single, I have been all my life."

But persistent John wasn't ready to give up yet, and tried to track down India on Instagram.

In a hilarious twist, he ended up messaging her twin sister Caitlin Wild - who replied: "Haha that was my twin sister in the picture - india is the one you think is unbelievable!x"

But the bold lad said: "Well in fairness I think you both are".

Adele shared the original message on Twitter, with the tongue-in-cheek caption: "How's your love life going?"

It soon went viral, racking up more than 5,700 likes and 1,000 re-tweets.

Replying to Adele's tweet, Rob Cox wrote: "Oh my god that's terrible, and hilarious", while others called John's messages "savage".

Another follower said: "Thought he was messaging THE Adele at first read, which would have been an even bigger long shot."

And a baffled Tristan wrote: "You look stunning, can't believe anyone would look better next to you".