A WOMAN has been slammed for earning £40,000 a year and living at home, but still needing her parents to bail her out with finances each month.

Speaking to Grazia, Sian Teasdale, 30, from Bournemouth said she has “no choice” but to frequently turn to her parents for handouts.

Her average take-home pay for her job as an account director at a digital marketing agency is around £2,200 each month, depending on commission.

Despite this, she lives in her overdraft and requires up to £500 a month from her dad, who works in hospitality, and her housewife mum.

She explained: “It might be because of an unexpected expense, like that garage bill, or it could be for something as mundane as buying my lunches at work, because I literally don’t have a penny to my name until payday.”

Sian explained how she moved from London to her hometown around 18 months ago, in a bid to start saving for house deposit.

She said that living in London meant she was often turning to her parents to bail her out each month, so she felt moving home was the “solution”.

The account director, who said she doesn’t have a credit card and she doesn’t want to get into debt, said she pays her parents a reduced rent but money seems to disappear out of her bank.

She explained: “By the time I’ve paid rent, done some food shopping (I want to pay my way as much as I can), settled my phone bill and insured, taxed and put petrol in my car, there’s not a great deal left.

“I work in a very sociable industry and there’s an unspoken pressure to join in with Friday night drinks, and I do need to buy clothes for work. Apart from that, I don’t splash out on luxuries.”

Sian explained that she does her own nails and hair, and shuns luxury holidays to take mini-breaks with friends.

She said she feels like a “burden” on her parents, as they are financially comfortable but she wouldn’t class them as wealthy.

Things the mum and dad help out with include chipping in for the £100 excess on her phone insurance when it broke and giving her £20 so she can have a night in with a bottle of wine and a takeaway with a friend.

She added: “Back in my teenage bedroom, this isn’t where I pictured I’d be when I was 30. By now, my 20-year-old self assumed, I’d have my own flat, savings in the bank and be able to look after myself. The reality is I'm not even close to being in that position.”

Sian admits she feels like a “failure” for leaning on her parents as a 30-year-old, but that her parents “understanding”.

However, she said her dad does find it “alien” for someone in her generation to be in her position, as he bought his first home when he was 21.

She admits she cheers herself up by having “cheap wine in a local bar” with friends who say they are in the same boat, and Sian said any homeowners she knows have paid the deposit with help from parents.

Sian was adamant that she is not a “frivolous Millennial” who doesn’t know how to budget, but that the cost of living is so high that sometimes every day expenses are out of reach.

Back in my teenage bedroom, this isn’t where I pictured I’d be when I was 30. By now, my 20-year-old self assumed, I’d have my own flat, savings in the bank and be able to look after myself. The reality is I'm not even close to being in that position.

People have taken to Twitter to say how shocked they are at the woman for being in her position.

One said: “There is a problem there. It’s not poverty, it’s shameless fecklessness.”

Another added: “Seriously, stop drinking and take public transport - there you go, problem solved. Welcome to normal adult life.”

And one commented: “What on earth is she doing not to manage on that? Hmm, fancy social life, daily restaurant lunches & coffees? Someone needs a wake up call. Most of the country manage a whole family on less than that. Frankly this is vulgar.”

Meanwhile one Twitter use said: “No seriously I need a full breakdown on what this woman in Grazia is spending each month.”

Less than a third (27 per cent) of first-time buyers in the past two years manage to raise the full deposit on their own, according to Post Office Money.

According to Sellhousefast.uk, a typical first-time buyer in the UK would have needed to save £25,867 to put down as a deposit to secure a home in 2017.

The study found that although the rise in house prices has made saving for a house difficult, high renting costs are pushing people to want to buy.

Of those in the study, 43 per cent said high renting costs were the main reason for wanting their own home.