LISTENING to friends swapping their birth horror stories about breech babies, tearing and labour lasting for days, Rachael Parmenter, 41, felt huge relief that she’d never have to endure a similar experience.

At five months pregnant, she’d already booked to have an elective C-section to deliver her first child. “Why would I force myself to go through the pain when there’s an easier option?” says full-time mum Rachael now.

“Pushing a baby out doesn’t prove anything – the result is the same. But there’s still such a stigma attached to a C-section. And that needs to end. They shouldn’t be saved for emergencies.”

Last year, hospitals across the UK saw a spike in C-sections – nearly 160,000 were carried out, a figure three times higher than in the 1980s, meaning a quarter of babies are now born this way. The statistics also show 76,163 were planned and 98,557 emergencies, each of which cost the NHS around £1,700 – more than double that of a natural birth at £750.

Of course, not every C-section is down to choice. Lesley Gilchrist, co-founder of My Expert Midwife, reveals the rise is also due to the growing number of older and obese mums, as well as women with medical conditions that make vaginal birth more risky.

“If you’re overweight or over 40 when you conceive, you’re at greater risk of miscarriage, still birth and a more difficult labour, which means a C-section is often necessary,” she says.

“As well as this, women with medical conditions that may have prevented them from getting pregnant, such as severe heart problems, are able to become mums thanks to fertility technology. Again, these women may need medical intervention during birth.”

Psychological issues such as fear of childbirth or post-natal PTSD – which an estimated 20,000 women develop in the UK every year after traumatic labours – are also behind the rise in numbers. In fact, just last week, Catriona Jones, a lecturer in midwifery, warned that these numbers are being fuelled by harrowing accounts on TV and social media forums like Mumsnet.

However, although NICE guidelines recommend women should be allowed to opt for a planned Caesarean even if not for medical reasons, this isn’t always the case.

A recent report by the charity Birthrights discovered that only 26% of the 143 NHS trusts who’d shared their policies with the charity, complied with guidelines, and 15% actively refused elective Caesareans.

That’s despite the end of the Royal College of Midwives’ 12-year campaign for “normal births”. The group vowed to change the way it talks about childbirth, in a move intended to avoid making mothers who opt for medical intervention – including epidurals and Caesareans – feel like failures. Yet the stigma, from society and medical professionals, still exists.

“Some women feel like they’re not proper mothers because they haven’t given birth vaginally,” says Kim Thomas from the Birth Trauma Association. “But women are much more aware of the birthing options available to them nowadays and doctors shouldn’t be turning down requests for Caesarean sections. Forcing anyone to give birth vaginally when they don’t want to is cruel.”

Having a C-section is by no means an easy way out, of course. While the procedure may decrease certain risks, it also increases the chance of infection in the lining of the womb, bleeding that can lead to womb removal, heart attacks and fertility problems.

Nonetheless, Rachael, who lives in Ipswich with her husband, artisan floor restorer Mark, 41, and Phoebe, eight months, admits she chose an elective Caesarean because she was scared of the pain of natural childbirth. “When I discovered I was pregnant in May 2017, it was a bit of a shock as I hadn’t been trying for long, but I was thrilled. However, after the initial joy subsided, terror rose when I thought about the birth,” she remembers.

“My friends had told me about their experiences and I have a very low pain threshold, so I knew I wouldn’t be able to handle a long and agonising labour.

Just thinking about it would make me feel sick with dread. Friends suggested hypnobirthing and water births, but I’d already decided that I wanted an elective Caesarean.”

At 12 weeks, Rachael was referred to a consultant due to her age and BMI, which was 40, meaning she was classified as severely obese.

“The consultant was upfront that my weight made natural birth more risky,” she says. “I explained I was determined to have a C-section, but as there were no medical grounds, I was terrified my request would be denied. Mark fully supported my decision as he knew how anxious I was.”

In July 2017, due to her weight and personal preference, Rachael was granted an elective C-section at Ipswich Hospital, set for January 16. “It was a huge relief,” says Rachael.

“Finally I felt like I could look forward to my due date. Although some friends who were older than me made comments that I didn’t need to have surgery, I didn’t let their judgments change my mind. It was my body, my baby and my decision.”

On January 16, Rachael and Mark arrived at hospital at 7am with an overnight bag.

“Within two hours I was walking into theatre about to become a mum,” recalls Rachael. “As I lay on the operating table I felt completely at ease and in control knowing I wasn’t about to endure hours of painful contractions.”

After administering an epidural anaesthetic, doctors cut a 15cm incision across Rachael’s abdomen and uterus before removing the baby – all within 60 minutes.

“It was so calm and quick,” she remembers. “The sensations were weird as I could feel everything, but I chatted to Mark to distract myself. When it was all over, the doctors handed Phoebe to me and it was so emotionally overwhelming. When I held her against my skin I felt an instant connection. She was perfect.”

Within two days, Rachael was discharged from hospital. “There was some pain involved in the recovery, but it wasn’t anything I hadn’t anticipated,” says Rachael.

“Now I’ve got a small scar, but it doesn’t bother me. It was worth it for a pain-free labour. I don’t want any more children, but if I did I’d opt for a C-section. I feel so lucky to have had my birth choice respected. You shouldn’t be judged for not wanting a ‘natural’ birth. All that matters is that mum and baby leave the hospital healthy.”

Demand for Caesareans has become so high that Private Midwives, a service that allows women to pay £12,000 for the op at a clinic or hospital, was launched this summer in the north-west of England, after the company saw a 162% jump in enquiries in 2017.

Thanks to celebrities such as Victoria Beckham (who had all four children by Caesarean), women who elect to have C-sections are often dubbed “too posh to push” – but is there any truth in the label

Statistics seem to show women giving birth at hospitals in the UK’s most exclusive postcodes are almost twice as likely to have a C-section than in less affluent areas. Some 37% of all babies born at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital last year were delivered via Caesarean, compared to 19.3% at West Suffolk in Bury St Edmunds.

However, Kim Thomas is adamant that being “too posh to push” is a myth, insisting: “It simply isn’t true. Women are much more aware and vocal about birthing options nowadays, and if they request a Caesarean it’s almost always for a very good reason – whether it’s a physical or psychological issue. There should be no judgment, whatever the choice.”

Mum-of-two Michelle Rayleigh, 47, from Essex, delivered sons Brodie, now six, and Reeve, three, via emergency C-sections.

“I knew giving birth would be a challenge, but it’s a bonding experience,” says Michelle, who runs a first-aid business. “So when I became pregnant in 2011, I was nervous but excited and ready to embrace it.”

However, by November 10, 2011, Michelle was two weeks overdue and went to Basildon Hospital to be induced. After a 36-hour labour with husband Paul, 40, beside her, she was rushed to theatre for an emergency Caesarean when the baby’s heart rate suddenly dropped.

“I was devastated,” she says. “I felt like I’d missed out on what birth was supposed to be like. The procedure saved my baby’s life so I couldn’t regret it, but I was stressed the whole way through and it was the opposite of what I’d hoped for.”

Thankfully, Michelle was discharged after 24 hours and made a swift recovery at home.

Four years later, aged 44, she became pregnant again and hoped the birth would be different this time round. “When I saw my consultant she advised I be induced at 38 weeks because I was an older mum,” she says.

“However, when I spoke to another doctor a few weeks later at my local hospital, I was informed that I could opt for a vaginal birth if that made me feel more comfortable. I still felt that a natural birth was the healthiest way to bring a child into the world, so I declined the induction.”

Just one day over her due date, Michelle’s waters broke in July 2015, but within a minute of arriving at hospital her baby’s heart suddenly stopped.

“I was rushed straight to theatre for a C-section under a general anaesthetic,” she recalls. “There was no time to accept what was happening and Paul wasn’t even with me. Waking up from the operation three hours later I felt groggy and in a lot of pain.

I didn’t know I’d had a healthy baby until my husband handed him to me. I was heartbroken that I’d missed the first precious hours of my baby’s life.”

In the following weeks, Michelle suffered two infections and was bed-bound because of the pain. “I’m still traumatised,” she admits. “It’s amazing that C-sections are available to help those who need them, but I am still coming to terms with the fact I’ll never experience natural labour.”

So what is the future of childbirth in the UK? According to Fabulous’ Dr Hilary Jones, women should be supported, whatever their choice may be.

“Every mum’s preference should be taken into consideration. Both vaginal births and Caesareans have risks and benefits,” he says.

“C-sections often leave women in hospital for longer and bonding difficulties with the baby need to be considered, while vaginal births are usually more painful. As long as mums know the options, their choice should be respected.”