WA academic David Goodall has embarked on his final trip, flying to Europe to end his life.

Dr Goodall, who spoke outside Perth Airport before boarding his flight this afternoon, said he was sorry he had to travel far away.

“I have supported voluntary euthanasia for many years and I’m sorry I have to travel to Switzerland,” he said

“I would prefer to do it in this country. This country is my home and I’m sorry I have to go a long way away in order to end my life.”

Flanked by family members, Dr Goodall said he would be travelling first to Bordeaux in France to farewell other relatives, before moving on to the Swiss city of Basel.

There he plans to end his life, at a clinic which has approved his application for euthanasia.

“I’ve no pains — I’ve lived quite a good life until recently,” Dr Goodall said.

“The last year has been less satisfactory because I couldn’t do things — I couldn’t travel, I couldn’t even use public transport.”

Dr Goodall’s final trip, which is being supported by euthanasia advocacy group Exit International, has made world headlines, with more than $20,000 raised to upgrade him to a first-class seat from Perth.

Supporters on the GoFundMe page argued the fact Dr Goodall had to travel to Switzerland was “absurd”.

Exit International director Phillip Nitschke had previously claimed some Perth doctors were attempting to bar Dr Goodall from boarding his flight because he was “not fit to travel”.

“I don’t know whether they would be successful or whether it’s just a threat,” Dr Nitschke said.

AMA WA president Omar Khorsheid said while the organisation’s opposition to euthanasia continued, Dr Goodall had a right to travel overseas.

“If Australians are choosing to travel overseas to avail themselves of practices that are legal in those countries, that is their right to do so,” he said.

“The issue of healthy people ending their lives is really an issue around suicide, as opposed to the scenario we’re usually talking about in regards to euthanasia is people in their last days, weeks and months of their lives.”

Premier Mark McGowan described the situation as sad.

“He’s a very, very old man and he’s obviously had enough,” he said.

“I feel for him and his circumstance and I wish him all the best in his last journey.”

Two years ago, Dr Goodall was in the news after Edith Cowan University was forced to back down on an order for the academic to vacate his office because he was a danger to himself.

Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.