A UNIVERSITY student who copped a stream of online abuse over a controversial blog post now says she was “completely misunderstood”.

In the post, entitled ‘You May Have Worn the Prom Dress With Him, But I Get to Wear the Wedding Dress’, Missouri State University student Victoria Higgins targeted the ex-girlfriend of her husband-to-be, Brandon Lee Horsley, who he took to his high school prom.

The article was widely-shared for the wrong reasons, with people describing the 22-year-old as scary, jealous and psychopathic.

Speaking to the Washington Post, Ms Higgins said the post was only ever meant to be seen by her immediate campus community.

“I was completely understood,” she said.

She explained that the inspiration for the post came from talking with friends who wished they had been with their partners through major life events.

“One of my friends, her husband’s father passed away before they had gotten together. She was just talking about how she would have loved to have been able to support him through that.”

This motivation was apparent to those within her campus who knew her, she said. But the wider public didn’t get it, because they didn’t know her.

“When it’s shared to my personal community, they understand where I’m coming from because they know me. The outside community has no idea where I’m coming from.”

Ms Higgins told the Huffington Post the piece was not written directly from her perspective, but rather from a woman she imagined would have felt that way.

“It’s not directly from me,” she said. “I was trying to reach a certain group and things they can relate to.”

She said the worst part in all this was that people were coming after her boyfriend.

“People are messaging him saying, ‘Run for the hills,’” she said. “He’s not doing good, but he knows who I am, not what the internet is saying.”

Higgins said she’s received a lot of cyber-bullying based on the post, with people calling her a “psychopath” and telling her to commit suicide.

But despite all the hate, the article is still up.

“Just because someone doesn’t feel the way you do, doesn’t mean they’re psycho,” she said. “That’s why I haven’t taken the article down.”