A WOMAN claims she was laughed at by United Airlines staff when she reported another passenger performing a sex act mid-flight.

Genevieve Pascolla, 26, said she woke up on a London to Chicago trip to find a man touching himself under a blanket.

The pro photographer says she was left "appalled" by the cabin crew's reaction who, she says, made jokes about her ordeal.

Genevieve even says one suggested his sex act could have been because of her.

She says the man was left to "finish" despite being sat close to a small child

Chicago based Genevieve posted a video of the incident online and has slammed the airline for its casual attitude to the incident.

Writing on Instagram, she said: "They gave us new seats. They then started making jokes about the situation asking 'what perfume are you wearing' and excusing him saying 'he’s had a bit of wine'.

"No one stopped him. He was allowed to finish, with a child sitting closely by."

She added: "I am appalled at the lack of action taken in this situation in which as a woman, I was terrified.

"This man is clearly capable of much more."

Genevieve says she was asked by airport security if she wanted an apology from the passenger, a request she refused.

Later, she shared a picture of a customer service email online.

It read: Again, I apologise for the uncomfortable situation you experienced. I appreciate that you chose United for your travel. We hope your next trip with us will be a more positive experience."

Genevieve hit back: "Referring to being assaulted on one of your flight as a 'uncomfortable experience' is a bit of an understatement.

"Your lack of action is disgusting #metoo."

A United Airlines spokesperson, told BuzzFeed News the "inappropriate and offensive conduct like this" is exceedingly rare on their aircraft, "but we have a protocol to ensure our customers’ safety because it is our top priority."

They added: "That’s why, in this case, our customers were promptly moved to different seats in a different section of the plane and law enforcement officials were summoned in advance to meet the perpetrator when the plane pulled into the gate."

Genevieve received compensation from the airline in the form of half her fare refunded in flight vouchers.

Sun Online Travel previously reported that United Airlines paid a passenger £7,000 in travel credit to encourage a passengers to give up her seat on an overbooked flight.