A FUNERAL director has slammed a traffic warden who she claims slapped a parking ticket on her private ambulance - as she was moving a dead body.

Horrified Paula Brennan discovered the penalty notice on the vehicle’s windscreen next to a large sign reading: "Funeral director on coroner’s call out".

The 37-year-old had parked the private ambulance at the back of Hebden Bridge Funeral Services in West Yorkshire to respectfully move the body into the home.

But as she made the arrangements inside, she said a member of the public ran in to tell her she had received a parking ticket.

The warden, believed to be working on behalf of Calderdale Council, is said to have told Paula she should have parked in a space at the other end of the public car park to unload the deceased.

Paula said: “I went out to him and asked if I could have a private word and he ignored me.

“He then said there was a bay available at the end of the public car park which was about 800 metres away.

“I said ‘you want me to park there and carry this loved one through a public car park?’

“I asked how he would feel if it was his loved one. He said ‘I’ve got a job to do', sniggered and walked away. It was so disrespectful.”

Paula said a colleague had driven to the private area at the back of the building and pulled in where there are no double yellow lines.

She said was left with no choice but to walk away after being ignored by the warden.

The undertaker added: "I was gobsmacked at what happened and fuming at his behaviour.

"There seems to be a growing lack of respect for the funeral industry in general.”

Calderdale Council said: "Parking restrictions are in place to ensure public safety and to help traffic flow. There are exemptions for some vehicles, including ambulances and funeral hearses. However, the vehicle in this case was not covered by these exemptions.

"The vehicle was only marked as belonging to a funeral director, was parked in contravention of the car park restrictions which are clearly displayed on the information board within the car park, was parked outside of a marked bay, and was also blocking in another car.

"The notice displayed in the window was not sufficient to waive the car park’s restrictions and therefore the Civil Enforcement Officer issued a Penalty Charge Notice after seeking clarification and direction from a supervisor.

"We always ask people to park considerately and respect other vehicles and parking restrictions. Although we sympathise with the situation, the vehicle was parked irresponsibly and as such, the Penalty Charge Notice will be upheld."