TWO people were injured and two flats were completely destroyed after a suspected gas explosion ripped through a residential household today.

A seriously hurt 66-year-old man was pulled from the rubble at the site of the blast in Poole, Dorset and was airlifted to hospital.

Cops also arrested the man on suspicion of causing criminal damage with intent to endanger life.

A woman in her 60s was also treated for minor injuries after emergency service workers rescued her from the ground floor of the destroyed flats.

Police took the decision to evacuate residents from houses surrounding the blown-up building as a precaution shortly after the blast.

Authorities have not yet determined the exact cause of the explosion but the focus of the investigation is on gas cylinders found inside the building.

Detective Inspector Jamie Halford, of Dorset Police, said: “This incident required a significant multi-agency response and I would like to thank all those involved.

“We are continuing to liaise with the fire service to establish the cause and have launched a detailed investigation into the incident.

“I am appealing for anyone with information that can assist our investigation to contact us.

“I would like to thank motorists and members of the public for their patience during the road closures, which have been necessary to allow the emergency services to deal with the incident and investigate the circumstances.

"I would also like thank those residents who were evacuated for their co-operation.”

The dangerous detonation comes just one day after a grandmother was killed in a suspected gas explosion in London.